turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

flushed bird when scouting?

Started by cohuttariverrat, February 24, 2014, 07:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cohuttariverrat

So I have a question on a flushed bird that flew into what seems the next state while scouting. Will birds generally return to that area? How long before returning? How many times spooking them is too much? I have flushed birds 2 times same area this winter an just need opinions

redleg06

There's no set rule to it but as the season starts getting close, you need to start being more careful about it or it will take a cumulative effect. Theres a difference in "spooked" meaning they saw you, knew you were danger and flew outta there like a scalded as ape, VS they stuck their heads up because they thought they knew something was wrong and scurried a hundred yards down the road....

In general, if you spook them once or twice, they arent going to leave the area all together but if you make a habit of it then they might move on...especially if you arent the only one doing it (public land or heavy hunted private places).   Also, they might well move a little bit from their winter areas to spring summer areas, depending on where you hunt and what type of food is available so it may be a non issue.

I'd be careful in going back and bumping them out of that same spot. If you've seen them there twice and bumped them twice then I'd be content to leave that area as a likely spot to hunt and not risk it by bumping them outta there again.  Scout somewhere else since you obviously know they like that area.

Turkey get spooked everyday by people, animals, bushes that move too much etc...

northms

Agree with redleg.  Those birds will be fine.  I wouldn't make a habit out of spooking them obviously but I've seen videos of people spooking birds early in the morning and killing them an hour later when they're fired up.

Good luck this year.

cohuttariverrat

very cool. thats what i was thinking jus wanting opinions. im for sure not going in area until season. thanks

bamagtrdude

For what it's worth, I've learned over the years to scout fully camo'ed up; not the head mask & gloves or anything, but just shirt & pants & a cap.  I've busted far less turkeys that way; if I stumble up on a bird/group of birds, I just stand as still as I can & let whatever happens, happen.  Usually, they just trot off & make their way out of that particular area.  I've seen them back the very next day, exactly in the same spot.

You didn't say where you were, but take your time going around corners in roads, and always stick to the sides of tree lined pastures & ease along.  9/10, I either see or hear them before they spot me, so I can then get into "hide" mode & ease along to where I want to go to check 'em out.

I always stop any time I hear a crow call or an owl hoot or a woodpecker sound off.  Many times, that'll either cause a gobble or in the least, movement on their part, and can help you spot 'em quicker.  Make LIBERAL use of binoculars; it's amazing how GOOD you can see through thick brush/leaves/etc. with binoculars.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

alloutdoors

People get way too concerned with bumping turkeys and other game. It takes a lot to get an animal to actually leave its home range. That doesn't mean they may not temporarily avoid a certain field or spot in the woods if you've spooked them in the same spot a couple times, but they aren't going to relocate. Wild animals survive by being intimately familiar with their home range, leaving for unfamiliar ground is a good way to get killed. It's only really a problem if you just have a small parcel to hunt on, like 50 acres or less. Even then it's not a permanent effect, but the birds may avoid that specific area until the pressure is gone (i.e. hunting season ends).

cohuttariverrat

Thanks this is just what I was looking for. I bumped the last bird when walking back to truck. I was in a section of deadfall pines caused by pine beetles. An area that normaly would hang a bird up. So I was moving swift an hopping the logs and weaving my way through when I ran across him about 20yd away. Never would of thought I'd bump a bird in such a mess of trees. All I can think is maybe getting  bugs in the deadfall

tomstopper

Quote from: northms on February 24, 2014, 09:53:40 AM
Agree with redleg.  Those birds will be fine.  I wouldn't make a habit out of spooking them obviously but I've seen videos of people spooking birds early in the morning and killing them an hour later when they're fired up.

Good luck this year.
:agreed:

matchbook454

I'll be doing some scouting over the next couple weekends.  Well over a month before seasons open up  here.  I'm not at all worried about bumping birds this far ahead of the season, not that I want to though.  I definitely wouldn't want to bump any during the season though.  Not to say that they'd leave the area but I wouldn't want to chance it.  I'm sure coyotes and other predators as well as farmers move birds around as it is but I'd like to remove myself or my scouting from the list of variables if I have a bad day hunting.

Huntnwork

Turkeys have a poor short term memory meaning that they know to get away from you as fast as possible but later in the day they won't remember why they left that spot! They will remember you are a threat though because it's part of their makeup.