Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What rail should I be looking for on a Winchester SX3?

Started by jdavenp3, February 23, 2014, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdavenp3

Going to be drilling/tapping soon and was wondering what rail I should be looking for that will be compatible with my SX3? I would prefer a picatinny rail. Going to be mounting a Burris FF3

jdavenp3

Anyone on here got their SX3 drilled/tapped? I am lost on what to look for.

Stoner

I just purchased the Winchester SX3 in their turkey gun with the cantilever attached to the barrel. I posted a photo of it on this forum of he cantilever with the red-dot scope mounted to the cantilever. You might consider buying a barrel with the cantilever to eliminate drilling your receiver. You might find a used turkey barrel on one of the auction sites.

jdavenp3

I think I am just going to bypass tapping the receiver and use a side saddle mount that attaches to the pins that hold the trigger assembly in. Supposed to be a pretty good compromise.

IowaGobblers

d.winsor

Recently I have read that the Winchester aluminum receivers should not be drilled and tapped. If you ever plan to do it again I would check with Winchester First.

jdavenp3

Iowa, what optics are you using? I went with the Vortex Strike fire for a few different reasons. Looks similar to what you have. Any negatives about the mount I should know about before I slap it on?

D Winsor that is what I have heard too but Winchester has a few guns drilled and tapped in the SX3 family and others have done it with success so it is possible. However that will all depend on this mount and optic system whether I try it or not. Hopefully I won't have to.

IowaGobblers

I have a bushnell trophy red dot with the multi-reticle. It sits a little high. I put a bear creek riser kit on the stock-(I believe its a bear creek)