OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

nest relocation

Started by turkaholic, March 13, 2011, 09:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

Hi Dr. Williams, I live in Connecticut and have a small farm that I cut about 65 acres of hay. Last year I was rounding a corner and saw a hen pop her head up and run in to the woods. I got off the tractor and found a nest with 10 eggs. I put gloves on and moved the nest about 50 yards to the edge of the field in a spot that had some cover. I then kept mowing hay and after a couple of passes she appeared in the field, clearly looking for her nest. I watched her looking and in no time she was back on those eggs. She remained on the nest and everytime I came back to this field to ted hay she just sat on the eggs like a good girl. I returned several times after the field was harvested to find the eggs hatched and later seen her with her clutch. I don't know if you remember but last year the same thing happened in the same field and I wrote you about it on this forum. That nest also hatched it may even be the same hen. I wanted to tell you about this and get your reaction. Thank you for your time!
live to hunt hunt to live

Lovett

turkaholic,

I have never heard of that before.  That's amazing!