OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 youth 21"bbl and .570 jellyhead.

Started by dawgfrombama, February 23, 2014, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

Just got this gun for my son yesterday and needing some advice on turkey loads that will work with this setup.  Looking for something that would be effective out to 35yds maybe 40yds max.

Rem Man

I got the same gun and just from my experience, to make a 35-40 yd gun (WITH A 20 GAUGE) you have to shoot HW or Hevi-13. I tred some lead loads and they were not real good. I had real good luck with a Tightwad Choke with Mag Blends and Hevi-13 #6, and had real great luck with Fed Hw #7 and a  Truglo SSX choke! I get 150-153 with this setup at 40 yds. in a 10 inch. I tried various chokes and all lead shells and could only achieve around 50-70 in a ten ich at forty, at 30 yds all seemed awesome but the lead past 30 really fall off!!!!!! I hope i helped good luck!

Rem Man

Forgot to add i heard alot of good things with the 20 gauge Rem and Jellyhead but never tried it.

gophert

I tried the JellyHead .570 for the 20 and didn't get great results.  You can do better if you want to spend the money.  Here it is with Hevi 3" #7's

Personally I would buy the tightwad if I had to get Primos.  It's cheaper and puts up similar or better results in the 20. 

Cheap suggestions:  Remington Super full, TruGlo SSX .550

deacon

Fed HW 7s with SSX or Rem super full. Either will go over 150 in 10" in my youth 870. Shoot 2-3 bird shot shells to foul barrel then shoot it. Mine shoots best dirty. I got similar results as above pic with hevi 7s using IC .555, PG 570, SSX 550 and Rem SF. the fed HW 7s are the ticket for that gun. If you're interested in trying the Rem SF choke I can mail you mine to try and if it works out you can keep it for the season. Shoot me a PM