turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Taking the sting out of it.

Started by Crossbowjim, February 22, 2014, 03:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossbowjim

So I have come into possession of a Mossberg  Ulti-mag.  It is very light and the 3.5 artillery round it shoots is killing me.  I am thinking of filling the stock with lead to give it a bit of weight to help control the recoil but I am a little worried about screwing up the  balance.   Does anyone have an ideas or suggestions for taking the sting out of this cannon?

CASH

A limbsaver recoil pad. Mercury recoil reducer. Shoot 3 inch shells
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

beagler

The Limbsaver pad will help alittle.
Never Misses

WildSpur

Yes--what CASH said.  Mossberg makes weighted tunes you can put in your stock provided it is compatible.  The Sims pad does wonders.

Most importantly:  place forward pressure on your slide.  Pressure towards your target.  This alone can reduce felt recoil by up to 30%.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

ILIKEHEVI-13

My question to you or anyone on here is this.  If you were even in the slightest worried about kick or recoil from any gun for that matter, why in heck would you even think about buying a 3.5" shotgun.  So many folks try and say that a Moss 835 is a kicking mule or that it knocks them silly.  Sorry, but any 3.5" pump shotgun shooting 2.25oz turkey loads is going to kick you more than a 458 Win Mag by about 12 pounds of shoulder force.  And you don't see any folks who have the 458 Win Mag complaining about recoil now do ya.  Just saying. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I only say that for the way you try and say the Moss 835 is a cannon.  It's for from it. 

surehuntsalot

you only feel it shooting at paper,you don't feel it shooting at birds
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jdavenp3

If you just can not stand it I would suggest what everyone else has and also add this into the mix. Get an Evoshield shooters shirt.

I could give 2 you know whats about the Robertsons being sponsored by them, and that has just recently happened. However, I do support their products. I am a fastpich/baseball high school coach and can attest that the products they put out are legit. I firmly back what they sell and it is quality material.

old3toe

Here's what I've been doing for the last 6-7 years. I made a homemade sandbag from a thick insulated sock. Put sand in a heavy ziploc bag shaped the size of the sock. When you shoot just put it horizontal between the stock and your shoulder. It will feel a little awkward at first and will lengthen your pull a little but i find it works great!! It doesn't throw my poi off at all. Scopes, red dots, holo sights, fiber optic, or plane bead. It basicly turns the sharp fast tblow into a heavy push. Keep in mind though the sand gives and absorbs some of the recoil which the gun still comes back taking up the slack/cushion in the bag quickly still. If you get to relaxed shooting a scope you can. still get bit by the scope.I've tried to get other people to try it but they say no thanks.lol But their the ones still complaining about the recoil of the 3.5's. I would say a small bag of shot would work even better. Give it a try you may be surprised!!

Crossbowjim

Surehuntsalot, you are correct I never feel recoil when shooting at bird deer etc.  its at the range that is an issue. I will look into the limb savers and give the sand bag a shot...

eddie234

I have a sims limbsaver slip on recoil pad. I use it at the range. Like they already said your not going to feel it when you shoot at a big gobbler.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

chatterbox

This is what I did.
I was shooting Winchester extended elites, in 3.5 out of my 835, and they were causing a serious flinch. I just got to the point that I wanted nothing to do with them, even with the limbsaver pad.
So, I dropped down to a 3" shell, and I haven't had a problem since. I shoot the Hevi-13 3-2-7's, and get a very even, hunting pattern.
I in no way feel undergunned with my 3" shell. Whether I have 200 pellets, or close to 300 in the 10" circle at 40, it doesn't matter. To each their own because dead is dead. Another 100 pellets won't make a difference.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: chatterbox on February 23, 2014, 08:14:24 AM
This is what I did.
I was shooting Winchester extended elites, in 3.5 out of my 835, and they were causing a serious flinch. I just got to the point that I wanted nothing to do with them, even with the limbsaver pad.
So, I dropped down to a 3" shell, and I haven't had a problem since. I shoot the Hevi-13 3-2-7's, and get a very even, hunting pattern.
I in no way feel undergunned with my 3" shell. Whether I have 200 pellets, or close to 300 in the 10" circle at 40, it doesn't matter. To each their own because dead is dead. Another 100 pellets won't make a difference.

:icon_thumright: exactly
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Old Gobbler

I used to have a 835 - I now regret getting rid of it , but anyways...... Load the gun right up , weight it down will all the ammo you can stuff in the magazine this will help , one time I was patterning it with the old federal loads about 20 years ago , and I thought that padding up my shoulder with a folded up sweater , and laying over the hood of my truck would help , let me tell you I thought I just about broke my shoulder , what a mistake ... I remember my fingers going numb - when shooting it at a turkey I don't notice I thing

It's hard to beat a 835 , it's affordable cannon , that shoots many turkey loads excellent

And yes, Get a limbsaver , they really help
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Xcal1ber

Some of you girls need to turn in your man card ASAP haha. No the ole 835 I have kicks like a mule, but like said eariler, I haven't went up against a 3.5 inch gun loaded with 3.5 inch turkey loads that didn't kick my brains out. Tough out the sighting in/patterning part of it, and take it hunting. Once you pull the trigger on that ole gobbler you won't feel a thing  :icon_thumright:
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.