turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are we overthinking ourselves??

Started by jakesdad, February 22, 2014, 12:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Technology and progress are fine things,don't get me wrong.But with all this bickering and arguing over which shell is best with which choke in which gun and why a load that was perfectly adequate 5-10-15-20 years ago doesnt seem fit enough to shoot opossums with anymore,have we gotten to the point where its become a contest that will never have a clear winner instead of just being the fun and enjoyable sport we all love?

What would someone like Ben Lee think of what we are doing today?Would he just chuckle and say "boys learn how to hunt and the rest will come" and then go off with his fixed choke gun and 2 3/4" #4s and smack some noggins?

I'm not knocking anybody on their choice of equipment,thats not were i'm headed with this.It should be up to the individual to use whatever he or she feels most comfortable with.But it just seems like to me we are putting the cart before the horse sometimes.We strive to have guns that are proven 40+ killers then want decoys that are super lifelike because we feel turkeys may spook or not commit to sub grade fakes.I dont think with some of the setups here a turkey would ever get close enough to tell the difference!!Which do we want,close decoys or far guns?

I'm as guilty as the next guy of wanting bigger and better,and theres no real fault at that.But I think from here on out i'm going to commit myself to basics.Find a good solid 40 yd load for my 870,with dare i say it...LEAD,and just hunt turkeys.The info available will make your head spin,but its nice to have great folks like on here to help out.I think once I find a good combo this year,i'm stockin up on ammo and sellin off extra chokes and such.

Lets quit all the bickerin and moanin and groanin,we get enough of that at work,and back to doin what we LOVE.....bustin turkey lips!!!

Just my .02

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

CASH

Yep, sometimes will all the crap available to us today, I feel like I need a PhD to pattern my gun and hunt
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

chatterbox

Quote from: CASHisking on February 22, 2014, 06:20:04 AM
Yep, sometimes will all the crap available to us today, I feel like I need a PhD to pattern my gun and hunt
I think you need a PhD to go to the john! ;D

CASH

Quote from: chatterbox on February 22, 2014, 06:35:01 AM
I think you need a PhD to go to the john! ;D

I resemble that remark!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

tomstopper

:agreed:

R AJ

Most of the real successful hunters know what is important and what isn't. Just as some of the better fishermen may not have a very large tackle box , they know how to use each lure very well and when to use what,where, and when.

I agree with your point as turkey hunting experiences have given me some of my greatest and most enjoyable moments ever in the great outdoors. A lot of my best hunts were when I never fired a shot and yet could feel the ground shake when he drummed. When he is close enough about any combo except ones too tight will do the job nicely. If my guns will do the job at 30 yards I am good to go even though I know that they reach far beyond that.

The more that I travel the more respect I have for the different hunting situations and how the hunters adapt. The turkey shows make turkey hunting look as if the birds have no chance . May we all have a safe and enjoyable season.

chatterbox

Quote from: RAJ on February 22, 2014, 07:20:41 AM
Most of the real successful hunters know what is important and what isn't. Just as some of the better fishermen may not have a very large tackle box , they know how to use each lure very well and when to use what,where, and when.

I agree with your point as turkey hunting experiences have given me some of my greatest and most enjoyable moments ever in the great outdoors. A lot of my best hunts were when I never fired a shot and yet could feel the ground shake when he drummed. When he is close enough about any combo except ones too tight will do the job nicely. If my guns will do the job at 30 yards I am good to go even though I know that they reach far beyond that.

The more that I travel the more respect I have for the different hunting situations and how the hunters adapt. The turkey shows make turkey hunting look as if the birds have no chance . May we all have a safe and enjoyable season.
This sums up turkey hunting for me. Very well said, Robert.

owlhoot

Pattern ??  helpers   :help: degree    :fud: :OGani:

Mike Honcho

Good post you have a very good prospective.  I enjoy reading the info posted here and have sure learned a lot more about turkey hunting than what I knew before joing OG.  I,ve learned a lot about calls, chokes loads , calling and a respect for hunters in other parts of the US that hunt in different terain and conditions than I do.

I've learned that even though I am a successful hunter in my neck of the woods I might be a rank amatuer hunting in the hills and hollows of the eastern US.

I do chuckle when I see a post asking if someone's 40 yd pattern results were lasered our tape measured!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: RAJ on February 22, 2014, 07:20:41 AM

excellent post,this sums up what it's all about
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Woodsman4God

I agree with the above post, just want something that will get the job done adequately 35-40 and let the chips fall where they may.

Tail Feathers

Simple is good in the woods.  Tech will let you down sooner or later.
My red dot is a concession to my aging eyes but I like the simplicity of turkey hunting.
When you boil it down, it's you and your woodsmanship against a tom who is very good at not getting killed.
I'm not a pack mule, I like to keep it fairly light.  I don't think I need 40 pounds of equipment to kill a bird.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TN Beard Buster

I personally use an 870 SM with a Kick's GT .665 with Winchester #5 lead. It's got a Nikon scope because of poor vision and eye dominance issues. I decided a couple years ago that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For me, I like to call em in close. I told a buddy just last night that if it gets to the point that I have to have a set up that kills em at 70 yards or above just to kill a bird, I'll give up hunting all together. To each his own, but that's my opinion.

longfield

My Grandfather knew and lived fairly close to Ben Lee and he too would laugh and tell us to "spend more time in the woods, you never know what you might learn" instead of buying different equipment. He hunted when there were fewer turkeys and killed more than most folks will ever have the opportunity to. Most of his kills were made by cupping a piece of slate in his hand with using a striker he made. All the while wearing his Liberty overalls and a plaid shirt.  He told me his solution for a bird that was to far was "well boy, you just call him in closer"

guesswho

I'm a fairly simple guy and don't get caught up in all the latest fashions. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff