News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are we overthinking ourselves??

Started by jakesdad, February 22, 2014, 12:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 22, 2014, 10:55:35 PM
Quote from: jakesdad on February 22, 2014, 12:25:49 AMLets quit all the bickerin and moanin and groanin,we get enough of that at work,and back to doin what we LOVE.....bustin turkey lips!!!
Just my .02
:agreed: Amen brother!!! I've been saying the same thing for a while, and I get accused of holding hands and singing cumbayah. :lol: ;D
I fault nobody for their style of legal hunting, and believes ethics is up to the individual, and not for some arbitrary person to impose their ethics on you. Good post! Thank you! :icon_thumright:

Mann, I love Cumbayah  ;D

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 24, 2014, 08:31:35 PM

Quote from: Fullfan on February 23, 2014, 05:51:50 PM
I think anyone who would pay over 100.00 for a decoy needs their head checked. But that is just my .02

don't you know,you can't a turkey without a 100.00-200.00 REAL LIFE decoy

you're right,somebody does need their head looked at

X-3
What ever happend to the days of throwing a paper pie plate out @ 25 yards and shootin some ol lead 4's at it to see if was still on. It was simple for us, and it worked wearing our old bottom land cammo. Everyone.. I'm still grateful for what I've learned here on O.G But... Keep it simple  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

turkey_slayer

Deleted

cuttinAR

I lean towards traditionalist but also buy a few gadgets every now and again.  I shoot hevishot not because I want to kill turkeys at 70 yds but fact is they are denser than lead so presumably provide cleaner kills in the event I'm off the mark a bit and don't get as many pellets in the kill zone.

I also pay attention to my camo not to make sure it matches but to make sure it has not faded.  Been busted before from old camo, probably wouldn't happen if I didn't go cheap with Russell outdoors.  I've used the same vest since I started, use my grandfathers 1954 lynch world champion box call and try and use woodsmanship over gadgets.

However, I won a chunk of cash this year and bought a dsd jake.  Necessary?  Absolutely not but it gives me something to think about and get excited for the upcoming season.  When I hunt timber around home I never use decoys not because people will think I'm less of a hunter, but because they don't work and hang up birds.  Been there done that.  When I go hunt the plains I've been more successful with decoys than without primarily due to lack of cover to run and gun.  I'd rather have them come in spittin drummin and gobblin to fight then deer hunt or ambush them. 

To each his own though, I think there can be a happy medium.  For me, line in the sand is motorized decoys!!!  That's when it will be too much but I guarantee it's coming!!

RutnNStrutn

Another aspect that comes to mind is that not everyone has the same opportunities as others do. I know guys who hunt primo private land in multiple states every year. It's very easy for them to not have to use decoys, blinds or technology, or fancy camo, etc.
On the other hand, I also know guys who only get out 1 or 2 days on the weekend, and not every weekend, and on public land, seeking pressured birds and fighting it out with all the other guys there. I don't blame them for using every advantage they can to seal the deal on the very few opportunities they get to harvest a bird.
That's why I am not judgmental. Don't want (or need) to use dekes, blinds, technological advances? Excellent! I support you! Want to use every legal method you can to improve your odds? Excellent! I support you too!!
Cumbayah!!! ;) :lol: ;D

Doug

I bought my Mossburg 835, used, about 15 years ago, only has the little white bead on the front and I've used it exclusively to hunt turkey since then.  Always use Federal #6 3-inch mag shells.  Sometimes I will have the same box for 4-5 years, until I figure I better burn it up.  Not that I kill a turkey every year, but it has never failed to drop a bird after I've lined up and dropped the hammer.

My hunting clothes used to be whatever I had left over from my military days.  I have since upgraded to a Cabelas gortex parka because it is WARM, but I couldn't tell you what style camo it is.  Last spring, when I dropped my gobbler, I was still sporting old desert camo pants.  Didn't seem to bother any of the birds I was working, particularly that wily old guy that was spitting and drumming not 15 feet behind me.

I have recently purchased a few things for convenience or comfort such as folding chair, turkey vest to keep my calls and snacks somewhat organized and this year I'm going to pick up a jake decoy.  But, that will be about the limit of what I'm willing to carry.  It is already pushing things lugging a chair and decoys around up and down these mountains!

I don't mind either way, it's all up to the individual hunter.  As long as we're out there having fun!

mudhen

Man if "need" was a requirement for everything in life, it might be a very boring existence....

Lots of good folks make a living selling & making these things we don't "need"...

But that's just my take, yrmv...

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

VanHelden Game Calls

I wonder about the god ole day comments, they used what they had back in the day and I bet they would do the same today.

Why use the technology?  Many reasons - IMO some will never be good hunters and need the crutch, some are just in love with everything turkey and want the stuff that feeds the passion.  Heck we are all using technology and are members on this site conversing because of the passion or looking for tips to make us better or make it easier - so what does that make all of us?

Vabirddog

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on April 01, 2014, 09:04:30 AM
I wonder about the god ole day comments, they used what they had back in the day and I bet they would do the same today.

Why use the technology?  Many reasons - IMO some will never be good hunters and need the crutch, some are just in love with everything turkey and want the stuff that feeds the passion.  Heck we are all using technology and are members on this site conversing because of the passion or looking for tips to make us better or make it easier - so what does that make all of us?

Informed and connected!

DirtNap647

I look at hunting as a good clean fun hobby rather see people spend money on it then a lot of other stuff