OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mounting problem

Started by MouthCaller, February 21, 2014, 09:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

I put this here cause I hopefully will get more traffic and have an answer in time to get to play with this gun tomorrow. I have a weaver base and a trs 25 red dot well I put them on like I normally would and after playing with the action maybe 3 times the base is loose so I took off the scope re tightened the base very firmly and the screws are too long to let the gun function properly you can't even take the barrel off when they're all the way in. Anybody got any solutions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ads1

I had the same problem with my Benelli. I ground down the screws until the action worked correctly. To make sure the screws remained tight I put a drop of Loctite (purple) on the threads and tightened down the screws. The only other thing to do is purchase some shorter screws from a gunsmith. Be careful and don't shorten the screws too much. It may take a couple of tries to get the screws the right length. Good luck.

Terry
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

MouthCaller

I Wondered about loctite I have the mount as of right now very firm without and interference so should I just loctite them and when they're firm but the action still works out will that cause a problem?

ads1

I am not understanding what you are saying. Loctite will not solve the problem of a base that is not tightened properly. With magnum loads there is a lot of pressure on those screws and they have to be tightened down fully. The loctite will keep a tight screw from getting loose, but if the screw is less that fully tight the recoil will eventually loosen the screw. It may take a little more effort but it will be worth it in the long run to shorten the screw IMO.
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

Skeeterbait

Well, I didn't see this thread until I answered your other thread about the dirty barrel.  Yes my front two screws were too long also and I ground them down.  Remove the barrel and the bottom of the screw holes will be visable in the receiver.  The screws must not extend into the receiver or the barrel will not slide in and out properly.  The screws must be shortened or shorter screws purchased.

MouthCaller

Quote from: ads1 on February 21, 2014, 10:56:33 PM
I am not understanding what you are saying. Loctite will not solve the problem of a base that is not tightened properly. With magnum loads there is a lot of pressure on those screws and they have to be tightened down fully. The loctite will keep a tight screw from getting loose, but if the screw is less that fully tight the recoil will eventually loosen the screw. It may take a little more effort but it will be worth it in the long run to shorten the screw IMO.
You answered it sorry if my mind and my auto correct didn't get the point across lol but yeah you answered my question.

MouthCaller

My screws look all the same gonna get my chainsaw file after church and work on it but should I only have to file the two front screws?

Skeeterbait

My two back screws were fine, no need to shorten them.

SinGin

If by chance you have a nut to fit them, you might want to run it up the srew first then unthread it to help keep the threads clean and straight .

MouthCaller

Quote from: SinGin on February 23, 2014, 11:26:08 AM
If by chance you have a nut to fit them, you might want to run it up the srew first then unthread it to help keep the threads clean and straight .
I don't... gonna have to be careful

redarrow

You can use a dremel with the right bit to grind down the screws too.

MouthCaller

Quote from: redarrow on February 23, 2014, 02:10:44 PM
You can use a dremel with the right bit to grind down the screws too.
I wish I had had one cause I had to use a flat file and file off about half of those dern screws. It wasn't exactly easy holding those with needle nose filing them. I feel lucky I didn't mess them up but I was being as careful as I could be. I got her mounted and some loctite down and we should be good to go!