OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I be mad?

Started by MouthCaller, February 21, 2014, 07:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

My new shot gun came in today from buds after I got home to start looking at the barrel it had been shot what looks like several times and it wasn't cleaned. It's going to take a brush to maybe get the stuff out of the barrel the choke was not properly greased before it was put in. So I'm sitting here cleaning a brand new gun supposedly brand new and I'm pretty aggravated that it looks like this.

Here it is I just got the scope mounted.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

matchbook454

What gun was it?  Not that it has anyrhing to do with it imo.  Just curious.  I'd take pics, email and complain.

MouthCaller

Mossberg tactical 935

Old Gobbler

I bought a brand new versa max ( Remington ) sealed in the box - it was shot and tested at the factory I presume ?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jmasters

I'd call them and ask if they normally ship there guns in that condition.   

redarrow

My brand new CVA ml took me 3 hours to clean.I ain't never seen a brand new gun that filthy.

MouthCaller

Ok buds swears that they do not fire guns at their place that if if had been fired it was done so by the manufacturer theoretically if this gun had been shot at the factory and say in this box over a year I can see it looking like this I'm pretty disappointed though.

surehuntsalot

I would be,the manufacturer will fire a weapon to test it,kind of like a weapon function test,usually just once or twice.
I got mt NEW gun in that shape,I would be pissed.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

AndyH

This is very typical for Mossberg shotguns to be very dirty straight out of the box. I used to work partime in a gun store and sold a ton of mossbergs.

ALfwlmth

The best thing to do in that situation would be to let me take that off your hands until you cool down. I think a fair amount of time would be, I don't know, bout 70 days from now.  Seriously, I've been shooting turkeys with my Xtrema for along time and really want a "turkey" gun. And I REALLY like that exact gun.
If you don't mind me asking, "What brought you to purchasing that gun?"

Some do, some don't. What's it gonna be?

FullChoke

Yes, you have every right to be mad. You also have every right to NOT be mad. Your choice.

If the only thing you have to do to that gun is clean the barrel, well then, clean the barrel. Most guns being manufactured today come from the factory needing a complete strip down and thorough cleaning, inside and out.

Give her her first bath and enjoy your new gun. It's beautiful. :)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

davisd9

Got other things to worry about over a gun I can clean. Good luck.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

eman375

It is disappointing that the manufacturer would allow a gun to leave the factory like that but the gun industry as a whole is just trying to crank them out to meet demand.  I wouldn't sweat the fact that it's dirty because that's an easy fix.  Just hope the gun meets your expectations mechanically.  You bought a Mossberg so you know they are workhorses and that is ultimately what you want--a gun you can rely on in the field.  Good luck and enjoy!

Kilchis

Don't berate your dealer, it's apparently not an unusual Mossberg practice to ship dirty product.  I bought a Mossy 535 turkey/duck combo from a well-respected local retailer about 3 - 4 years ago.  When I got to looking at it at home I was shocked at how filthy it was.  Called the gun guy, with whom I had been doing business for 20 years, started to rag on him for selling a used gun as new and he explained that it was just S O P for Mossberg.  I talked to some other folks and they had the same response.

Both barrels looked like they had been used in a long competition shoot, the threads on all three chokes were clogged with a rusty-looking crud that had visible metal particles embedded in it, and the threads in both barrels were the same.

One would think that the manufacturer would have some degree of concern about the face they present to the buying public, but I guess they figure that once you have the gun you're pretty much stuck with it. 

Nevertheless, thus far I like the gun, though if the opportunity to swap the duck barrel for a slug barrel came up I'd jump all over it since my duck days are long past. 

My suggestion, take a deep breath and clean up your new baby.  That way you'll know it was done right.

Skeeterbait

I happen to be sitting here tonight working on the exact same new gun.  I will be polishing the bore in the morning to clean it out.  Like yours it is caked on the inside of the bore.  The action is full of heavy oil also, I recommend you dissasemble it and clean the oil out of it.  This is indeed typical of Mossbergs.  I also own two 835's and they were the same condition new.  Good news is they clean up fine.

Now I did run into a problem you may need to look into.  I mounted a Mossberg Picatinny Rail on mine and the front screws were too long.  Yes I used the proper two shorter screws and they were still too long.  They locked the barrel into the action like set screws.  I ground them off, cleaned the threads and reblued the screws.  Everything is fine now but that is something I shouldn't have had to do.  If you are using a Mossberg Picatinny rail check this out.  If yours are too long you can do what I did, or have a gunsmith correct it.  This to me is worth a complaint to Mossberg which I will be calling in first thing Monday morning.