turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Vest Opinions?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 21, 2014, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

In the market for a new turkey vest, and curious as to what the most popular models are now. I've used a Russell super elite III for the past few years. Great vest, just a little too hot for some of these south GA days. Looking for a cooler option. In particular I'm looking at the tactical tatr 2 and the ol tom line. What's everybody using? Thanks
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

SouthernStrut

Mine is a Red Head Bucklick creek lounger vest.  I've had it for 3 seasons and really like the self supporting lounger system and magnets that hold the seat in place when it's folded up.  Not only can you set up and lean back with no tree if you have to, it's great for leveling yourself out if you have to set up on a slope.  Just tug on the straps on either side for more seat support.  It's got pretty convenient pockets too.
Blake
Southern Strut True Custom Calls
- True Custom Glass, Crystal, Copper, Slate, etc.
www.southernstrutcalls.com

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk.  Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.  It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."  -Fred Bear

bamagtrdude

I'm in the same boat as you; that's why I abandoned the whole turkey vest deal & now hunt with just a fanny pack; will probably get the new Turkey Thugs pack @ Wal-Mart this year.

BUT, if I were to get another vest, I'd probably check out Ol Tom's vests; they're kinda pricey, but the cushions are real nice, and they've got several models that are lightweight & appear to vent really well.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

CASH

Some vests are cooler than others but overall I think they're all hot in the South late season.

The only sure fire way in my opinion is to ditch a vest all together and go with a run and gun type belt, a fanny pack, back pack, or Ol Tom Technical shirt and pants (they have built in call pockets on the shirts and pants and are lightweight)
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

bamagtrdude

---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

WildSpur

Tactical tat'r fan here.  Great seat on it.  It is cotton construction so there is not as much mesh as other vests but I can wear it in the heat with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

bigbird

I need a one too, I'm leaning towards the tactical tat'r kickstand vest, but the price has me halted on pulling the trigger!

DirtNap647

Quote from: CASH on February 23, 2014, 10:40:22 PM
Some vests are cooler than others but overall I think they're all hot in the South late season.

The only sure fire way in my opinion is to ditch a vest all together and go with a run and gun type belt, a fanny pack, back pack, or Ol Tom Technical shirt and pants (they have built in call pockets on the shirts and pants and are lightweight)
x2

WildSpur

Tough situation.   I know the regular tat'r can go as low as $80 after the season but I am not sure about the kick stand model.  Waiting that long isn't fun either if you need it now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

WVhuntEER

I have tried a couple different options so I will chime in here.  I have the regular tactical tat'r vest and really love it.  I hunt in VA and WV so I'm not as far south as some of you guys but it does get hot up here in the later part of the season and it doesn't bother me.  The design doesn't feel like I'm wearing a vest as much as others. I like the layout of the pockets and it seems like it is made of quality material.   I have tried the kickstand version on in the store just to see how it worked.  I am not a big guy 5'8 170  and I couldn't get it to feel real comfortable to use the kickstand.  They make the kickstand version in a one size fits all so there really wasn't a way to get it tight enough for me to use it effectively.   I really like the idea though of the kickstand.  The other drawback of the kickstand is that it makes the pack a lot heavier.    I do think the kickstand can be removed so the weight wouldn't be a factor.  One last note,  my backup vest is the Bucklick Creek Lounger that Bass Pro has.  It's self supporting seat is the main feature here and it works really nice.  I don't think the quality is as good as the tat'r and the seat doesn't have a cushion but it is a nice vest.    Hope this helps!

wvnut3

My favorite is my super elite 3.I have used the tactical tatr 2 for the past 2 years , however i will go back to my super elite 3 this year. Both are nice, it does not usually get that hot here until the end of the season.Lee

Gooserbat

It took me about ten years but I finally wore out a Super elite II then I went a a vest quest and after two years of trying different ones I settled on a Tactical Tater II.  It's not the coolest in hot weather, but it's not bad either, but it has imho the best features with the seat being at the top of the list. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Burney Mac

"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

cahaba

I have a Elite III and last year I bought a Limbhanger. It is cooler but like was already recommended a good fanny pack is the way to go to keep cool. It's what I use once the weather gets warm. I use a gobbler lounger in conjunction with the fp for long sits.

Turkey Trot

There is a world of camo small packs with shoulder straps out there to study.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DW8NBU/ref=asc_df_B003DW8NBU3013869?tag=thefind0213729-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B003DW8NBU&linkCode=asn

Tom Teasers is doing a satchel:

http://tomteasers.com/Apparel.html

Someone had a lanyard out on the market recently, but I cannot remember who it was.

There is a large number of fly fishing lanyard makers on e-bay that will make custom lanyards for you.  It could be done to support a mouth call wallet, a pot call pouch, a box pouch, and maybe attach a thermacell to the belt.  That leaves the issue of a back pad and seat pad.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter