OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

outfitter for merriams

Started by strutstopper, February 18, 2014, 06:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutstopper

I'm thinking about trying to finish my slam this year. More than likely I would go in the middle of May. Anyone know of a reasonable priced outfitter? I'm not dead set on any state. I know it's a little late to book a hunt, but thought I would ask anyways. You can pm if you want. Thanks!

fountain2

Check with nelson outfitters or 7j in Wyoming.  I was at nelson last spring at it was unreal.  I've never seen turkeys like that before and they are true "white tipped" merriams.

hotrod3h

7J Outfitters is a great place but I would'nt consider that a resonable priced. Great public land in NM.

slamman

May 10th is the last day to hunt turkey in New Mexico so I would say New Mexico is out for you.  You can get an OTC archery tag in Arizona for some good units and I can point you in the right direction.  I can give you some good areas to hunt in New Mexico too but it would have to be earlier then the middle of May.

Turkeyman11

You might consider Utah.  Our hunt runs till the end of May and we have a ton of public land in Southern Utah.  I also go to Colorado around the 10th of May and always have real good luck.  Not sure when their season ends but they also have a lot of public land with over the counter tags. 

strutstopper

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to call Nelson's after lunch.

Slamman, I'm thinking it will be right after the 10th. My dad will probably go with me and I'm sure he will want to use a shotgun. I appreciate the help though.

Turkeyman11 I'll do some researching on Utah.

Keep the suggestions coming!

jwhunter

call Doug Herman at CottonWood hunting lodge in Woodlake NE, he is a world champion turkey caller " gobbling division and they have tons of birds 402-841-2738

fountain2

Did you get a chance to call Nelson?

hotrod3h

Just talked with someone last night that has an opening in NE. I believe he said around May 15th. PM for contact info if still looking.

strutstopper

Quote from: fountain2 on February 19, 2014, 07:16:29 PM
Did you get a chance to call Nelson?
I have called, but haven't got in touch with them yet.

vagrousehunter

Lot's of great public land in SD and nw Nebraska.