OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How bad is it?

Started by Colt45, February 17, 2014, 12:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colt45

In central kansas that is? Me and a friend are planing on hunting public land and or the wiha land the first four days of the shotgun season. I just want to know what I can expect pressure wise from other hunters. Any input would be Greatly appreciated! :thanks:

turkeyfoot

You probably already know the answer Kansas is limited on public land the WIHA is good but there will be lot of locals that have been scouting and then a lot of out of staters opening week,  and the week of Easter expect big crowd as lot of people are off work and will be there. It'll be tough unless you've scouted it some areas don't have trees and you'll be taking a risk hoping birds are using them roosting from on  private ground. With that said the birds will be around just stay away from other vehicles that beat you to a spot and be willing to walk and walk and ton of patience they will most likely have lot of hens the time your going. Your biggest problem maybe the weather if we have late spring which I think we will you will be dealing with slick roads rain snow sleet and high winds I would recommend 4 wheel drive for finding the WIHA sites some will not be on good roads if weather is bad.I will be hunting there but later in season I like to go with more predictable weather through April can be more miserable  than fun hunting 

mudhen

If there is an oil and/or gas project anywhere in the area, you can expect any WIHA to be crawling with NR hunters.

But, if you are in BFE, you will likely see few other hunters.

The parking lots in the motels & hotels can usually show you who is in the area....

I find that most KS residents are not that wound-up over turkeys, and tend to hunt later in the season, or mid-week, etc.

On of my favorite states  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

jakesdad

We decided to go last of April/first of May to hopefully get better weather and less pressure.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Colt45

We decided to go last of April/first of May to hopefully get better weather and less pressure.
Like you I probably would go later in the season but, my friend can't do that because of work obligations. I am going to have to make the best of it.

jakesdad

I have several friends,including 2 of the guys going in our group this year,that go the first of April.They usually have pretty good luck,but have said they've experienced everything from 90+ temps to blizzard conditions.Hunter pressure/lack of birds has never been a complaint from them and they hunt public and private lands.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

brittman

We (2 guys) hunted 2 days and killed 3 birds all on public land.  The guy we stayed with had put all his good turkey land into WIHA :(  but we made due.

Outside the core area, but we never saw another hunter.