turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the Verdict?

Started by Punisher, February 16, 2014, 11:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

I bought a couple boxes of the Win. LB XR 3 1/2" #5s yesterday.  I decided to try them through one of the chokes we do not hear much about on here.  The choke is a Trulock .670.  The gun I shot the LB XRs through is a Win. SX2 with a 28" barrel.  I forgot my tape line today, so I stepped off 41 good long steps to be sure I was close to (or beyond) 40 yds.  The two shots resulted in 155/10" and 160/10".  Temp. was around 40 degrees with a fairly stiff wind.
My question is, does this sound good or should I try another choke?  I also have a IC .665, MAD Super Max .675, KICKS .675, KICKS .680, KICKS .685, JH .670, and a Trulock .680.  Is it possible that one of these chokes would perform better or should I stay with what I have? (On a side note, with that same gun, I am averaging around 130/10" with the Trulock .680 and the Win. LB XR 3 1/2 " #4s, so I could be convinced to stick with the #4s.)

Xcal1ber

I think that is good for lead 5's in those temps and wind. If you took 41 long steps then I would say you was dang near 40. I say since the shells are pretty cheap you could try other chokes just to see what they'll do. If you didn't want to do that then you have a good killing pattern with the 4's or the 5's. Plus those numbers will only go up in warmer temps.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

WildSpur

Man if I was getting 130 #4 I would stop.  150+ #5---I would quit.  Either of those 2 are awesome and more than huntable!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

SCDieselDawg

I'd go back with a tape just to verify the yardage. But with those numbers turkeys don't stand a
chance as long as you do your part.

BandedSpur

I heard that Winch did their testing with an IC .665 (unverified) but I don't know what gun. So there is a chance the IC would do better. But if you are averaging 157.5 with the Trulock @ 40 degrees, you have a winner. As others have said, those numbers will certainly go up in warmer temps. I would stick with the 5s. They will kill as far as the pattern holds up. The fours will actually decrease your range due to less numbers in the pattern and provide no advantage whatsoever.

R AJ

According to Sum Toy they were in 200's + at 60+ degrees but only 160 ish at 40 degree temps so you may be sitting on a pat hand for now.

ILIKEHEVI-13

There is no one here who can answer those questions for sure.  Only one way to find out and that's to try the other chokes.  Your barrel may like a different choke with these lead loads.  But I'm gonna guess that lead will like a little bit tighter diameter choke.  But as Clark always says that internals play a big part in how a barrel shoots a particular load.