OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke for 1187

Started by turbo, February 16, 2014, 12:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbo

Hey guys,
I've been a member for a little while but haven't posted yet.  I was wondering everyone's opinions on choke tubes.  I have an 1187 sportsman 3" gun with a 28" barrel and am not impressed with the patterns from the stock chokes.  I can get a Jellyhead for a good price and know that these chokes do well in remington guns but was wondering if the .660 or .665 would be better.  I plan on shooting hevishot #6's or magblends because I already have a few boxes of each.  Any other choke ideas would help but the jellyhead is almost too good of a deal to pass up.  I know that different guns shoot different chokes better but am just wanting a good starting point. Thanks for the help.

BandedSpur

My 26" 1187 does well with the .660 JH. With H-13 3-2-6s, it did 183/10, essentially the same as the more expensive IC .665, which did 184.

Ridge Rooster

I have got the best patterns with a Rhino .660 choke, but my gun has a 21" barrel. I have a hunting buddy who has a 23" and he also gets great patterns out of his Rhino .660. I also have another hunting buddy who has a 23" barrel and shoots very good patterns with his Jelly Head .660. So from our experience the .660 seems to throw the best patterns of course it depends a great deal on type of shells used. We mostly shoot Nitro ammo, but I have also had good results out of my 21" with Mag -Blends.

Good luck

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Songdog2012

I had an 11-87 with. 21 inch barrel and honstly the best setup i found for that gun was a 20 dollar tightwad choke in .660 restriction from my local walmart.

That choke with win. Xtended range #6 would out pattern any other gun i have owned!

Lucky Clucker

Get a jelly head or tight wad in .665 , shoot the 6 and 7 shot great.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

nyhunter

My Remy's all shoot great patterns with the Jelly Head .660 and H-13 6's,7's, & Mag Blends.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Just get a Ventilator .655 and save you about $15 or so vs the Jelly Head.  It in my opinion will beat both Jelly Heads in a head to head comparison with most loads.  Others may tell you different.  But for the money spent, I'd bet money the Ventilator will come out on top easily shooting Hevi-13 loads or lead. 

It will cost you about $25 shipped. 

You will thank me later.  That's how much confidence I have in this choke. 

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=956890&filter=ventilator&catid=0

http://www.hunt101.com/data/526/DSCF0076_Medium_.jpg

That target above equated to 283 shot in the 10" at a tape measured 40yds.  And that's with a 3" 2oz load.  That's ain't too shabby.