OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Elalala Montana Cabins

Started by longbeards, February 13, 2014, 07:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeards

Hi,

A buddy and I are starting in Fla and hunting to Montana this spring,,,,WE JUST RETIRED!! Anyway pretty much under control everywhere we are hunting but in need of a reasonable place to stay in Eastern Mt.....DOES anyone have any suggetions? thanks longbeards,,,,

WV has about 20 inches of FRESH SNOW TODAY,,,,

hobbes

I'm not sure where Elalala is.  Are you refering to Ekalaka? 

Most Eastern Montana towns are tiny cowtowns that will have one, maybe two tiny local hotels.  If they are anywhere near Williston ND, you'll be lucky to find rooms due to the influx of people to the Bakken Oil Fields.  While the work is mostly north of where you're likely looking (at least north of Ekalaka), it does spill over some, so be aware of it. 

Baker, Ekalaka, and Broadus each have a small hotel or two that probably will have rooms in the Spring, however there are workers in that region too.  If you are farther north towards, Wibaux, Glendive, Sidney.  You'll be lucky to find a room and if you do they are going at premium rates, think Gulf Coast prices (they may have come down some since they have built several new ones in Sidney).  It sounds crazy but there are people living in man camps, campers, under campers, etc. in that region.  The infrastructure in the region is slowly catching up, but it is really crazy.

I'm guessing your looking farther south, so that probably won't be a problem, but it is something to be aware of.  I'd definitely call ahead.

My preference for "nicer" towns in Eastern Montana is Miles City.  It has everything you need.........Super Walmart and nicer hotels.  The Sleep Inn Is only a year and a half or so old, so it is the best there.  If you're looking for the cheapest place, then the KOA in Miles City has two one room cabins that you can rent and there is a shower house at the campground.  Miles City may be too far to drive from every day to wherever you're planning to hunt, but it may be useful info.  I try to stay in Miles City whenever I'm out there.  (I spend quite a bit of time in that region in the construction season visiting DOT bridge construction sites.)

There may be the odd ranch house for rent here and there in that region, but you'd probably need to search any local papers.  Most of my searches for cabins in the region (I just did one for cabins near Ekalaka a day or two ago) only turn up the hotels in the local towns.  I've hunted the Ashland area the last two seasons but I'm planning to try the Ekalaka area this year.  I've also located some smaller public parcels farther west that I know have turkeys around them, so I'm hoping to try those also, so who knows where I'll be hunting. 

There may be some guys on here that have hunted the area and stayed in some local lodging that can help.  I've mostly just driven through while working and ate lunch at a local restaurant or two.  If you have something more specific you'd like to ask about, you can send me a PM if you'd like.  I'm sure I'll be through the area between now and season if the snow clears out.

longbeards

Hobes,,it was Ekalaka,,typo sorry! You info has helped and I appreciate it! Spending 10 days in the area and we don't need much,,would prefer not to use a hotel!! Have you fished that area any? Besides addicted spring turkey hunters we love to trout fish!

With Kind Regards
Longbeards
WV

hobbes

You will have to follow the Yellowstone or Missouri west a ways to get into trout.  You will be in warm waters there (smallmouth, walleye, sauger, pike, etc.)

longbeards

Hobbes,,,Was in Western Mt last summer for a class,,,fished the Might Mo for several days after the class ended,,,and had a friggin great time..What a fishery!

ANYWAY,,,ran into a fellow who told me that somewhere around Fr Peck,,there where quarries,,that have huge rainbows in them...

best longbeards

hobbes

That mey be true.  A lot of the lakes have trout so you may find them closer in a lake.  Although fort peck is a haul from ekalaka.  Are you a fly fisherman?
I have not done a lot of fishing here.  I will try to ask one of the guys at work about the farthest east you can expect to find trout.