Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Angelina/Sabine National Forest in Texas, or Homochitto NF in MS

Started by smalls, February 12, 2014, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalls

I'm planning on making an OOS hunt this year, in either MS or TX.  I live about 2 hours from Homochitto NF in MS, and I hunt regularly on public land in LA that is about 1-1 1/2 hours from Sabine/Angelina NF.  Right now I'm leaning more towards TX, because from what I'm reading, both MS and TX have licenses around $127-$150, but the TX license is all season, while the MS license for that price is only for 3 days.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has hunted either place and could tell me if its worth it or not.  I would not be hunting either until late April-May.

slave601

If you plan on hunting homochitto be prepared for a LOT of people and some heavily pressured birds. But they do have birds. Got a buddy that lives over that way. He's always telling me he doesn't have too much of a problem finding birds. It's just how bad they get hacked with
"thinnin the flock"

smalls

Even late in the season there's a lot?  The places I've hunted here in LA tend to have less hunters as the season progresses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

slave601

My buddy usually has success later in the season mid day there. He's good. Real good. And it's hard for him over there. But it's worth a shot
"thinnin the flock"

smalls

I've read it gets quite a bit of pressure.  That's kind of why I'm looking at Texas as well.  It would be a no brainer if I didn't think I'd be wasting $150 on a 3 day license for MS.  I might try and get up there and scout.  If I can find some birds, I might try and hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

slave601

Desoto nf around Hattiesburg is very big and it has birds. Just some thick woods. Late season it doesn't have that much pressure.
"thinnin the flock"

smalls

Hadn't looked at the map enough to even see De Soto over there.  Looks like I've got some research to do.