turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Easiest Call

Started by super186, February 10, 2014, 11:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

super186

What do you think is the easiest call for a new or young hunter to become proficient at. At least good enough to bring em in and not scare them away. I have 12 year old who can't do the mouth calling but wants to get started trying to do some calling.

drum817

Box calls and push pin calls are probably considered by a lot folks as some of the easiest to learn on.  In my opinion a pot call isn't terribly hard either.  Rhythm and cadence are the first things to get down.  Best of luck!!!  :icon_thumright:   
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

TRKYHTR

I agree with Drum. Box call first, then pot call, and I would get him a 2 reed mouth call to start trying to use one.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

jblackburn

as said, boxes and push pins are probably easiest.  Pot calls are not overly difficult, but may take a bit more practice.

As far as mouth calls, has he tried youth frame calls?  He could have a narrow palate and a youth frame will help that.  These calls definetly take the most practice, I remember that it took over a year of frustration for me to learn how to use one.  If he can make any noise on it he can get to the point of sounding like a turkey eventually. I'm working with my 5 year old with a Gooserbat Young Gun, he can make noise and can kinda cluck. Still a ways to go with yelping.  Mom's not overly impressed with all our sounds, though!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

stone road turkey calls

I agree, the box call and push pin, with the push pin as my choice as the easiest one for a beginner. practice, practice, practice. record his calling and play back you will get a better idea of how he is doing. good luck and welcome to your son to the turkey hunting world.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

R AJ

Same answers for me as above but also adding a scratch call since you are not likely to have  a problem with the lid making unwanted sounds when handling. A few clucks and soft yelps are very easily learned and yet are the end of many gobblers strutting days.

SS Calls

I agree with the above posts. Box calls, especially 1-siders and push pins are really easy to learn to yelp on. Like someone else said scratch boxes are another really good option.

West Augusta

I would go with a production pot call. They are cheap, easy to run and can take a beating.  They also don't squeak at the wrong time. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Spring Creek Calls

Super 186, PM me your address and I'll send ya a scratch box for him to play with.  Mike
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Muzzy61

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on February 11, 2014, 09:10:14 AM
Super 186, PM me your address and I'll send ya a scratch box for him to play with.  Mike

This is why i enjoy this forum so much better than any other I've been one. The helpfulness and willingness to share information ( and calls) is very refreshing. It's not that way on most other forums.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

strutnrut

Agree a box call. Al and Josh make a mighty fine box call and I don't mind saying SSo

R.W. Mackey

The question was the easiest, Al nailed it with the One Sider box and push pin. There are some great sounding push pins and by far the easiest to run. Next would be the one sider, angle already set, just learn the rhythm.

Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

super186

I have to agree with this being the best forum ever. Never have I had so many quick, helpful replies to hunting questions. Extra special thanks to Mike and Derick. Hopefully I will have my son posting his own sound files here some time in the future.

bbcustomboxcalls

Greenshed Longbeard

Greenshed Longbeard