OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

scope vs red dot

Started by scdxt, February 10, 2014, 07:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scdxt

Rem Man

In my opinion get yourself a b square mount and put a simmons turkey reticle shotgun scope  on it, they work fantastic with great reviews and the whole setup is about 110.00 i have 2 guns with setup and they are very dependible and you can also drop down to your bead if need be. Good Luck!

scdxt

Quote from: Rem Man on February 10, 2014, 07:13:45 PM
  In my opinion get yourself a b square mount and put a simmons turkey reticle shotgun scope  on it, they work fantastic with great reviews and the whole setup is about 110.00 i have 2 guns with setup and they are very dependible and you can also drop down to your bead if need be. Good Luck!
i already have a bsquare mount just cant decide between the scope or red dot.Didnt you say you had a bushnell trs25 when we spoke the other day on phone

SCDieselDawg

I vote for the Simmons 4x Pro Diamond. I've been looking for one to go on my 935. but they must be popular or something!

Rem Man

yep sure do great red dot i have them on my guns that are drilled and tapped, i like the scope on the b square it just feels more natural because it sits up higher, plus i got way to many turkey guns lol!,,,, the trs 25 is a great red dot super reliable and very compact.

scdxt

opticsplanet has them but midway is cheaper

outdoors

I JUST GOT A trs 25 IN CAMO FROM OPTICSPLANET , WHEN I ORDERED IT THERE WAS FREE SHIPPING PLUS 10% OFF , ANYWAYS I DIDNT KNOW HOW SMALL IT WAS , I HAVEN'T SET IT UP YET CAN'T DECIDE ON WHICH TURKEY GUN TO PUT IT ON . LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TOBE A REAL NICE DOTE SITE ..
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

knightrider

I don't trust the new weaver to many qc problems, for the same money you could have the leupold!!! that's just my opinion how ever as I like leupolds :z-guntootsmiley:

ahfox16

My 2 cents is Red Dot.  I was bit four times by recoiling scopes on turkey guns.  The bottom line is sometimes in your excitement you do something stupid and don't hold the gun tight.  Mine was a Pentax lightseeker (made by Burris) with the circleplex reticle made for turkey's.  Awesome turkey killing machine and my goodness the gobblers looked magnificent coming in when they were incircled with that CirclePlex reticle.  Only problem was that Benelli shooting 3.5" shells had a fierce recoil.  First time I killed the turkey, it recoiled enough just to nip me above the eye.  Little spot of blood and a very dead turkey.  Didn't even feel it until I had a couple of drops of blood run down my my nose.  Second time exact same thing happened (another dead turkey and another bit of blood running down the face.  Third time was in Nebraska.  That one I missed the turkey and the gun slammed back into my glasses and knocked the lens out of the frame.  Had more blood that time (lot more) and it scared me enough I carried my back up gun the next day.  Fourth time was last year and I was ultra stupid.  Turkey came into the field and I saw him and hit the ground prone.  Forgot how hard that gun recoiled when I touched it off at 15 yards from the bird.  I saw stars and felt like I had been smashed in the face with a baseball bat.  Rolled over from the prone position and blood was streaming out of my face.  My glasses were broken again, but they probably saved my right eye from permanent damage as they stopped the bottom of the scope from smashing me in the eye.  Top part had opened up a gash that took 7 stitches to close and gave me a partial concussion.  I spend 3 hours in the hospital getting sewed up and getting tested for a concussion.   The scope came off that night never to be used again.

Have since replaced it with a Burris Fastfire III and love it.  Liked it so much that I have another one inbound for my back up Winchester 1300.

PS.  I had one of the first red dots on this gun (Leupold Gilmore Red dot) for a few years.  It did great, but it was too large and sat too high on the gun and was always getting it caught on stuff while hunting.  The Burris is as good as it gets IMO.  Tough, small and light.  I have zero complaints.

scdxt

Quote from: knightrider on February 10, 2014, 08:05:39 PM
I don't trust the new weaver to many qc problems, for the same money you could have the leupold!!! that's just my opinion how ever as I like leupolds :z-guntootsmiley:
I will have to look around.I always have shot leupolds on my rifles.Love them.

knightrider

Quote from: scdxt on February 10, 2014, 08:54:00 PM
Quote from: knightrider on February 10, 2014, 08:05:39 PM
I will have to look around.I always have shot leupolds on my rifles.Love them.
opticsbrands.com has it in the leupold 1.5-4x20 for 199 free shipping or the 2-7x33 for 209 free shipping

chatterbox

Burris FFIII. Quick target acquisition, and no fear of getting "bit" by a scope!

WildSpur

Yep.  Burris fan here too.  Buy once....wish I did!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

shuey270

Sako358

I agree with "ahfox16" and have felt his pain.  I let my Red Dot sight smack me last year.  I was shooting the regular " Benelli ComforTech" stock on my SBE II when it jumped out of my hands and smacked me in the forehead.  Jumped completely out of my hands!  I never had that problem with my scope mounted pistol grip "Steady Grip" SBE.  So I blamed the stock configuration more than the sight.   I changed my Stock over to the Steady grip this year in hopes of solving the problem.
If you are shooting big magnums, you want all the eye relief you can get and the Red dot's sites have the most.
However, my favorite is still a scope.  It's just a real pain to carry and it adds a lot of weight.  But, if you are trying to put that 20" pattern on his head at 50 yards.  The scope is hard to beat.
Run & Gun: Benelli SBE 2, Trijicon RMR, IC .710, Hevi 13 #5 Zero 30 yds
Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds