turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Inertia Recoil

Started by cmd242, February 10, 2014, 10:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmd242

I've always shot gas operating shotguns and I have never noticed much recoil. I just purchased a SBE2 and the recoil is almost unbearable. Has anyone found any cures for reducing the recoil on these guns? Does porting the barrel help any?

MouthCaller

I don't have one but I want a sbe2 badly to duck and dove hunt with and I always thought one of their big points of emphasis with that gun was that it would not kick.... I would hope something that expensive wouldn't be a shoulder breaker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

PALongspur

Unbearable? I'm by no means a large dude, but I wouldn't say the recoil from my SBEII bothers me. Mine doubles as my primary waterfowl gun so I go through hundreds of 3 1/2" shells a season.

cmd242

I had a Browning Gold prior to buying this SBE2 and I am kicking myself for selling it. To me, the Gold is twice the gun the SBE2 is.

bigbird

I've got a SBE II and an xtrema2, ones gas ones inertia, they both feel about the same to me. Never shot a gold, not saying it doesn't have less recoil than the benelli either! But that's got to be a sweet gun because I've shot every other super mag chambered auto loader and they all beat ya up a tad with the big bullets! To answer hour question though go to the turkey gun page there are guys that have posed that question before and I believe porting will help you with your recoil issue!

reynolds243

I have a SBE2 and by no means a big guy either and the recoil is tame IMO. I shot my buddies Beretta 390 duck hunting the other day and it felt no different if not a tad worse on the barrel climb.

to each his own i guess but just note that no matter the gun a 3.5" turkey load is gonna kick!  you can get a limbsaver recoil pad i guess to help but shooting that 390 as well as an 1187 and an 1100 the past few months i don't really see much of a difference in all of them with magnum loads.

ccleroy

I have a browning gold,beretta,Remington's and Benelli M1's and Sbe's......I don't have this problem, in fact my SBE  has less felt recoil than the gold.

cuppednlocked

I will also add to make sure the gun fits you correctly.

vaturkey

I've got a Super Black Eagle 2 & I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it & it made a world of difference. Try one !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

allaboutshooting

Quote from: cmd242 on February 10, 2014, 10:22:08 AM
I've always shot gas operating shotguns and I have never noticed much recoil. I just purchased a SBE2 and the recoil is almost unbearable. Has anyone found any cures for reducing the recoil on these guns? Does porting the barrel help any?

There are a couple of easy ways to help with that. You can put a Limbsaver slip on pad over the existing pad if it does not increase the LOP too much. You can also add a mercury recoil reducer. It adds weight but it really does help a lot.

I shoot 3" shells for the most part and find that they do all that's necessary. They have less recoil that the 3.5" shells as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mudhen

I shoot 3" shells for the most part and find that they do all that's necessary. They have less recoil that the 3.5" shells as well.

Thanks,
Clark
[/quote]

This.

My SBE II with 3" Magnum Blends is just about perfect....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Nd2020

The recoil reducer and a limb saver would be the best to help with the recoil.  I have a stoeger 3500 and can tell a big difference with the reducer in.  Also can tell that I'm lugging around an extra pound as well. 

turkeykiller22

I have an SBEII, that I turkey hunt with. I duck hunted with it forever until my dad bought an xtrema 2. I shot his gun a little and saw the light! Now I have both and xtrema 2 and a SBEII. Side by side you can tell a difference in recoil. The xtrema 2 does not kick as bad. It is a gas operated gun, and is a few ounces lighter, but is a GREAT gun for wing shooting.

Like I said I only turkey hunt with the SBEII I put it in a lead sled to pattern it and then the only other time I shoot it is a turkey! or at least hopefully, it is my backup during duck season haha!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

beagler

I have a Benelli SBE 2 and my dad has a Beretta Xtrema II. I think both guns are pretty much the same when it comes to recoil. In no way would I call my SBE's recoil unbearable though. As others have stated try a Limbsaver pad. If not try patterning some 3" shells. Seems like all the 3 1/2"er's pack a wallop no matter what gun they are fired out of.
Never Misses

budtripp

In my humble opinion you can't shoot 3.5in shells in any gun and not expect them to beat you. Simple physics.