turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Awesome Morning

Started by ElkTurkMan, March 12, 2011, 01:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

Guys I hit my lease this morning.  I heard eight birds.  :gobble:  Four were on our lease, three were across the river, and I had one bird on the property to the west of us, and one bird on our lease in a finger of timber in the clearcut.    I also saw two toms and a hen in a food plot.  One of the toms stayed in strut the whole time.  The other tom appeared to have beard rot.  He was mature, but had a beard about three to four inches long.  He would get in half strut, but would never blow up like the tom with him.  The strutting tom tried to run him off once, but he never did run off.  I watched them for 30 minutes until the fed into the pines.  I was about 150 yards from them and it was awesome to watch them.  Definately made it worth going.  They haven't burned anything yet.  I can for the life of me figure out why. Hope they do it soon.   The next two weeks are gonna drag by I have a feeling.  

mfd1027

Good report Shane.   Makes me think they have to be in about the same stage at my lease. :you_rock:  2 more wks.!!!
Dan

unclerick

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

nctrkyhntr

gob09

harvester

sounds great, looks like you are gonna have a great opening weekend.  :anim_25:

ElkTurkMan

I ahd another good morning this morning.  Man the opener can not get here quick enough.  I went to a new section of land today, and heard four.  Two of the four were right on the property boundary, and two were definately across the property line.  They absolutley have the woods tore up, you would not beleive all of the scratching and turkey sign.  This is not a big section of woods it only about 50 acres and very narroow but the birds are in there.  The rubs in this place were also unreal, but that another story for another time.  I even found the remains of what looks to be a 2 1/2 year old 8pt.  Had he lived he would have been something it loooks like.  I'll post a pic with this.  Anyway another great morning.  One of the birds gobbling had a real distinct deep gobble.  It was really neat.  As he was gobbling I thought to myself how in the world could anybody not love this!  When I left the property at 11 am, I saw a strutter on an old logging road.  We saw each other about the same time and he took off before I could really get  a good look at him.  One more week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

mfd1027

Next wk. end is gonna be hopping.  Man, I hope they're gobbling like that on my lease.   We're heading up Wed. or Th.   
Was all this action on your lease Shane??   
Dan

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: mfd1027 on March 19, 2011, 05:41:02 PM
Next wk. end is gonna be hopping.  Man, I hope they're gobbling like that on my lease.   We're heading up Wed. or Th.   
Was all this action on your lease Shane??   
yes this is in the very back corner of my lease.  I had overlooked it previously because of how thick everything is around it, but I am finding the turkeys dont' mind the thick at all.   Dan things should be hopping at your lease as well.  Everbody I know is hearing birds. 

mfd1027

How's the pollen lookin'?   I guess it's time to start loading up on Nasonex.   I couldn't hunt without the stuff.    I just talked to Wayne and he said he saw a flock of 52 birds last Mon. so maybe it's going to really get rocking in the next wk. or so.  Come on next Sat. !!!
Dan

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: mfd1027 on March 19, 2011, 06:26:02 PM
How's the pollen lookin'?   I guess it's time to start loading up on Nasonex.   I couldn't hunt without the stuff.    I just talked to Wayne and he said he saw a flock of 52 birds last Mon. so maybe it's going to really get rocking in the next wk. or so.  Come on next Sat. !!!
Dan, we ahve had some rain this week so in my neck of the woods the pollen is in check.  Now I anticipate it it to get bad the next week because no rain is in the forcast.  We have had some good hatches the past couple of years, I hope it continues.  Tell Wayne and everyone out that way I says Hello if you get a chance.