OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win LB vs. Fed Thug's

Started by Hhayes6, February 06, 2014, 12:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 06, 2014, 12:47:02 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 06, 2014, 12:41:13 PM
I think what happens and I will be polite what I am about to say is that when a new load comes out on the market...guys rush to try some in their guns.  Some of these guys might not know what 40yds is or don't know how to use a tape measure which is a cheap thing to do and extremely accurate, and then they march off 40 steps which is about 34 or 35 true yds.  Then they post their results of 160, 170, etc... or so in a 10" at 40yds on here or other forums.  And then the word is out that these new loads are so awesome.   :funnyturkey:

We should have a stepping contest but you must have short legs.  We patterned at 40 steps and I posted my results.  The next week we measured it... dang we were WAY OFF!!!  It was actually 41 yards!

Well I'll just say this is the internet afterall and it isn't live and in person.  I'd venture to say that a lot of these miraculous patterns posted on the net at a so called 40yds with very high numbers would not be repeatable live and in person with several folks to see and say sure enuff.   :popcorn:

bowhunter2k9

I'd be happy to, someone send me some PayPal money or the shells to do so!
Romans 8:38-39

klemsontigers7

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 06, 2014, 01:29:14 PM
Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 06, 2014, 12:47:02 PM
I think what happens and I will be polite what I am about to say is that when a new load comes out on the market...guys rush to try some in their guns.  Some of these guys might not know what 40yds is or don't know how to use a tape measure which is a cheap thing to do and extremely accurate, and then they march off 40 steps which is about 34 or 35 true yds.  Then they post their results of 160, 170, etc... or so in a 10" at 40yds on here or other forums.  And then the word is out that these new loads are so awesome.   :funnyturkey:

We should have a stepping contest but you must have short legs.  We patterned at 40 steps and I posted my results.  The next week we measured it... dang we were WAY OFF!!!  It was actually 41 yards!

Well I'll just say this is the internet afterall and it isn't live and in person.  I'd venture to say that a lot of these miraculous patterns posted on the net at a so called 40yds with very high numbers would not be repeatable live and in person with several folks to see and say sure enuff.   :popcorn:

Would you like for my to Skype it live on oldgobbler?

Longshanks

If it's not measured with a range finder or tape I don't pay much attention to the results. Throwing up numbers shot at 30 or 35 yards sounds awesome..but 40 yds is the best yardage to find out what a gun will do. It also helps other Old Gobbler members to compare their results to see what is most effective. There can a huge difference between 35 and 40 yards with lead. Pattern can deteriorate a whole lot in 5 yards.

What's going on ilikehevi-13? That ventilator .655 I still throwing 160-170 out of my 870sm with 3" xx 6's. Thanks for help with my set up!

drum817

Quote from: Longshanks on February 06, 2014, 03:03:35 PM

There can a huge difference between 35 and 40 yards with lead. Pattern can deteriorate a whole lot in 5 yards.

:z-winnersmiley: TRUE...anyone who pattern frequently knows this and I believe that is why some folks are so dogmatic about patterns being shot at a lasered or taped 40.  I don't know why 40 yards is the magic number, but when/if a pattern is going to go all to pieces that's where she'll fall apart...LOL  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

SCDieselDawg

If it's not measured with a range finder or tape I don't pay much attention to the results.

When I started patterning h-13 I noticed my results were terrible in comparison to those here on OG.  Then I broke out the laser range finder. To my surprise my original stepped off 40 was more like 47-48. If others hadn't verified their range before posting their results I would still be getting lead #s out of
H-13 shells.

ILIKEHEVI-13

No what I am saying is the Thugs aren't the greatest load that Federal has made.  A matter of fact I would say the old Fed Premiums were in fact better for numbers.  I shot the Thugs in my 835 with I believe the Star Dot choke that shoots the Winchester 3.5" 2.25oz #6's so well.  The best I could get was I believe 131 or 137 in the 10" at a taped 40yds.  Now it's possible I could of kept firing shells and got one slightly better.  But the 835 I have I know for a fact it will and can shoot with some of the best shotguns out there.  And that goes for the Star Dot .676 choke shooting lead #6 loads.  And know I don't think it's any better than other 835's with the same exact 28" barrel.  But I do know that 98 times out of 100 if I had to pick a go-to gun for optimum patterns with any load, the Moss 835 would be the gun I would pick.  So when I see these 170, 180 or 200 shot patterns with these Thugs it goes in one ear and out the other.  And that's especially with a #5 pattern.   

ericjames

That's why I always use a rangefinder and always have my gobbler lounger setting at 41 yards. That waythe end of my barrel should be dead on 40 yards.

ericjames

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 06, 2014, 12:47:52 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 06, 2014, 12:32:04 PM
Quote from: bigbird on February 06, 2014, 12:26:07 PM
  Does it say turkey thug on the box? I've looked for some of these and haven't seen them?

Yes. 

And for what it's worth guys, I haven't found the Thugs to shoot any better than the old Fed Premium loads from what I have seen.

Lol... blue box federal, same shell different box

We shot the Longbeards side by side with the Turkey Thugs last weekend.  No comparison, the Longbeards blow them out of the water.

I think if you look up the post by goldhunter, last year he dissected the turkey thugs and strut shock. They were no comparison even a big difference in powder.

owlhoot

I always liked the Grand Slam.  Are they the same as the Strut-shok??
Federal in blue box strutshok shot almost identical patterns in my gun a few years back.
I would think a rangefinder would be a common item for a pattern shooter and a turkey hunter :fire:

ericjames

Quote from: owlhoot on February 06, 2014, 06:17:28 PM
Federal in blue box strutshok shot almost identical patterns in my gun a few years back.
I would think a rangefinder would be a common item for a pattern shooter and a turkey hunter :fire:

I still have several boxes of the old grand slams, and the older ones before they started putting grand slam on the box. I have been hoarding them for years.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: ericjames on February 06, 2014, 06:38:21 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 06, 2014, 06:17:28 PM

I still have several boxes of the old grand slams, and the older ones before they started putting grand slam on the box. I have been hoarding them for years.

Those are the ones I'm talking about.  Not the blue box Fed premium.  LOL! 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have some black box Win 3.5" 2.25oz #6 red shells that I would put up against any of the new lead loads or older lead loads with the exception of the Win LB's for pattern density shot after shot in my 835 and Star Dot choke.  The old Fed Premium 3.5 gold/blue box were right there with them for patterns.   

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: drum817 on February 06, 2014, 03:09:17 PM

There can a huge difference between 35 and 40 yards with lead. Pattern can deteriorate a whole lot in 5 yards.

:z-winnersmiley: TRUE...anyone who pattern frequently knows this and I believe that is why some folks are so dogmatic about patterns being shot at a lasered or taped 40.  I don't know why 40 yards is the magic number, but when/if a pattern is going to go all to pieces that's where she'll fall apart...LOL  :icon_thumright:

Exactly!  You can lose over 100 shot in pattern density in a 10" from 30yds to 40yds.  The difference from 35yds vs 40yds can be anywhere from 40 to 60 shot approx. 

surehuntsalot

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 06, 2014, 07:07:58 PM
I have some black box Win 3.5" 2.25oz #6 red shells that I would put up against any of the new lead loads or older lead loads with the exception of the Win LB's for pattern density shot after shot in my 835 and Star Dot choke.  The old Fed Premium 3.5 gold/blue box were right there with them for patterns.

I have 10 boxes of the Winchester"red shells" 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz #6's and 8 boxes of the Federal 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz #6's     and like you,I will put these shells up against anything out there using my 835 and stardot tube.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase