OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win LB vs. Fed Thug's

Started by Hhayes6, February 06, 2014, 12:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hhayes6

:z-guntootsmiley: Winchester long beards vs. Federal turkey thugs has anyone tried them both yet? I know Federal hit a home run last year with the thugs. Best lead shell I have ever seen especially for $10. Would be interesting if someone has tried them both I know weather has not been helping any.

drum817

I will be patterning both of those loads (3" #6's) in a few more weeks...Just had an appendectomy last week, so as soon as the Dr. says it's ok (hopefully 3 weeks) I'll get up some pics.  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Hhayes6

Good deal its crazy how we Turkey Hunters jump from one thing to the next. Last year on this board every other thread had the word "Turkey Thug" in it...now?? I haven't seen a person mention it since beginning of January this year. Maybe the Win Lb's are that much better that's what I am trying to find out.

drum817

I will bet that the Win LB's will put up more pellets in the 10"....but I am hoping for a "respectable" number out of the Thugs for a solid hunting pattern!  :icon_thumright:

bigbird

Does it say turkey thug on the box? I've looked for some of these and haven't seen them?

SCDieselDawg

I know it won't be a fair comparison but I've got a couple 3" LongBeard 6s headed my way to test in my 870 that I'll also be running some 3" #5 Thugs through as well

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: bigbird on February 06, 2014, 12:26:07 PM
  Does it say turkey thug on the box? I've looked for some of these and haven't seen them?

Yeap, has a camo pattern as well. They are exclusive to wal
Mart so that's the only place to find them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yes. 

And for what it's worth guys, I haven't found the Thugs to shoot any better than the old Fed Premium loads from what I have seen. 

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 06, 2014, 12:32:04 PM

Yes. 

And for what it's worth guys, I haven't found the Thugs to shoot any better than the old Fed Premium loads from what I have seen.

Or the Federal Strut Shok in my studies!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

I think what happens and I will be polite what I am about to say is that when a new load comes out on the market...guys rush to try some in their guns.  Some of these guys might not know what 40yds is or don't know how to use a tape measure which is a cheap thing to do and extremely accurate, and then they march off 40 steps which is about 34 or 35 true yds.  Then they post their results of 160, 170, etc... or so in a 10" at 40yds on here or other forums.  And then the word is out that these new loads are so awesome.   :funnyturkey:

klemsontigers7

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 06, 2014, 12:41:13 PM
I think what happens and I will be polite what I am about to say is that when a new load comes out on the market...guys rush to try some in their guns.  Some of these guys might not know what 40yds is or don't know how to use a tape measure which is a cheap thing to do and extremely accurate, and then they march off 40 steps which is about 34 or 35 true yds.  Then they post their results of 160, 170, etc... or so in a 10" at 40yds on here or other forums.  And then the word is out that these new loads are so awesome.   :funnyturkey:

We should have a stepping contest but you must have short legs.  We patterned at 40 steps and I posted my results.  The next week we measured it... dang we were WAY OFF!!!  It was actually 41 yards!

klemsontigers7

Yes. 

Lol... blue box federal, same shell different box

We shot the Longbeards side by side with the Turkey Thugs last weekend.  No comparison, the Longbeards blow them out of the water.

drum817

I'm SURE the LB's will put up more pellets...but what kinda #'s did you guys get with the thugs??

klemsontigers7

Quote from: drum817 on February 06, 2014, 12:52:41 PM
I'm SURE the LB's will put up more pellets...but what kinda #'s did you guys get with the thugs??

Most of them we didn't even count.... SCDXT might have counted a few after I left.

Rockhound

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 06, 2014, 12:47:52 PM

Yes. 

Lol... blue box federal, same shell different box

We shot the Longbeards side by side with the Turkey Thugs last weekend.  No comparison, the Longbeards blow them out of the water.

Wrong, different powder charge, different buffer charge.

Close, but far from the same shell