OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

nitros

Started by tnturkey, February 05, 2014, 11:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnturkey

hey, I have a Mossberg 835 and a stoeger m2000 and I am switching to nitros this year for both guns. because of the mag blends problem I wont be happy with the pattern. just wondering what chokes use with these shells. any opinions would be great. just trying to get an idea on where to start. right now out of the Mossberg I shoot a jelly head with good pattern with the mag blends. and an I/c with a great pattern with magblends. out of the stoeger I use a jelly head. with a good pattern. i will test them just like trying new things. i am planning on buying a sumtoy to test and maybe a few others.

Philippe

I suggest grabbing a few chokes for each gun before testing. My 835 really shined with the Truglo SSX and the Pure Gold .670

tnturkey

I agree I plan on trying a few just trying to get an idea what other people are using and getting good results with these shells.

CASH

If you're talking about Nitro Company shells, they test theirs with Rhino, Jellyhead, and Indian Creek.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

ericjames

Quote from: Philippe on February 05, 2014, 11:51:20 PM
I suggest grabbing a few chokes for each gun before testing. My 835 really shined with the Truglo SSX and the Pure Gold .670

I agree.. When I bought the 24" 835  have now, the store I bought it at new had the PG.670 . I got it just to try. Well that's the only one I have put in it to hunt with because it shot nice even patterns with lead and hevi shot.  I wanted a shorter barrel than the 24" so I had a friend that was selling his gun so I tried the 20" and it shot what seemed to be just a good as the 24" so I swapped them out. So I know the PG shoots good with both the 20 and 24" I put it in.  another would be colonial arms .676,

Old Gobbler

I would wait till you get your hands on the magblends ,( or any other shell)  shoot them and then come to a conclusion on your own before doing a switch -  if you do the nitros ... Those are good alternative , but there is a good turnaround on that product so be advised also

Every year around this time people start posting up test patterns --- the problem being right now it is the dead of winter comparing test patterns from least year to patterns this year when it is sub freezing outside its going to be impossible to get a true scientific comparison / evaluation  - if there is a product change , sometimes it may be better ...... And all you need is a choke switch....or it may be worse and again you may need a choke switch , or find something else to shoot

There was a thread from about 4 years ago where people were ranting and raving about how a product line was changed , people were freaking out .... The sky was falling..... The world was coming to a end ..... One member I remember , got a hold of the alleged " bad lot" and shot it compared to last years run... The end result a 2 pellet deviation ?  -- now I know this is a classic example to me , and there in the past has been examples of people saying there was a performance gap that's was far greater , and those are probably valid and true -- but I can tell you I have seen with my own gun that shoots 380 with one shell , forget to clean the bore , shoot it on a cold day , next thing I am shooting a 250 -

One situation cold day , 10 mph side wind , dirty bore , 160 - next time change the choke , clean the bore , no wind , 80 degrees - 218

with another shell same situation but in opposite , shooting the gun on a dirty bore  cold day verses a warm day on a clean bore pellet count went up %30

There is a simple way to get around all these problems , and that is to pick up a few boxes to last you a few years
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

deerpoo22

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 06, 2014, 07:41:20 AM
I would wait till you get your hands on the magblends ,( or any other shell)  shoot them and then come to a conclusion on your own before doing a switch -  if you do the nitros ... Those are good alternative , but there is a good turnaround on that product so be advised also

Every year around this time people start posting up test patterns --- the problem being right now it is the dead of winter comparing test patterns from least year to patterns this year when it is sub freezing outside its going to be impossible to get a true scientific comparison / evaluation  - if there is a product change , sometimes it may be better ...... And all you need is a choke switch....or it may be worse and again you may need a choke switch , or find something else to shoot

There was a thread from about 4 years ago where people were ranting and raving about how a product line was changed , people were freaking out .... The sky was falling..... The world was coming to a end ..... One member I remember , got a hold of the alleged " bad lot" and shot it compared to last years run... The end result a 2 pellet deviation ?  -- now I know this is a classic example to me , and there in the past has been examples of people saying there was a performance gap that's was far greater , and those are probably valid and true -- but I can tell you I have seen with my own gun that shoots 380 with one shell , forget to clean the bore , shoot it on a cold day , next thing I am shooting a 250 -

One situation cold day , 10 mph side wind , dirty bore , 160 - next time change the choke , clean the bore , no wind , 80 degrees - 218

with another shell same situation but in opposite , shooting the gun on a dirty bore  cold day verses a warm day on a clean bore pellet count went up %30

There is a simple way to get around all these problems , and that is to pick up a few boxes to last you a few years
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

drum817

Although I shoot SumToy chokes exclusively now...here is a pic from 5 or 6 years ago when I was shooting my 835 with a .690 jellyhead and Nitro 3.5" "economy" loads...It was/is a GREAT,GREAT load!!!

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

tnturkey

thanks for all the information. I picked up a couple of boxes of magnumblends the other day. I will for sure shoot them. may be nothing new and they shoot great but I still want to at least test the nitros. and see which ones I like better. and shoot better out of my guns.

ahfox16

IMO nothing will consistently outshoot a Nitro.  That's why most of the ProStaffers shoot Nitros, unless they are paid to shoot others.  That said, it's kind of fun to tailor a load to a choke and having some fun figuring what works best in your gun.  If money was no factor IMO "everyone" would shoot Nitro's, because they truly are consistently that good.

PS.  Up until last year I only shoot Nitro's in my 20 gauge.  Lasty year I shoot both Nitro's and Federal Heavyweight.  The Nitro's beat the Heavyweight, but not by much.  I'll shoot the Heavyweights from now on assuming that Federal doesn't screw up the load with changes.  Etc.

drum817

Quote from: ahfox16 on February 06, 2014, 02:50:39 PM

If money was no factor IMO "everyone" would shoot Nitro's, because they truly are consistently that good.

+1 I totally agree!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

hookedspur

I have shot them through Indian Creek 665 and 555 from both Remington's and Benelli and if I
ever stop loading my own they are what I'm shooting exclusively.
They shot great in everything I have tried them in.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BandedSpur

Quote from: ahfox16 on February 06, 2014, 02:50:39 PM
IMO nothing will consistently outshoot a Nitro.  That's why most of the ProStaffers shoot Nitros, unless they are paid to shoot others.  That said, it's kind of fun to tailor a load to a choke and having some fun figuring what works best in your gun.  If money was no factor IMO "everyone" would shoot Nitro's, because they truly are consistently that good.

PS.  Up until last year I only shoot Nitro's in my 20 gauge.  Lasty year I shoot both Nitro's and Federal Heavyweight.  The Nitro's beat the Heavyweight, but not by much.  I'll shoot the Heavyweights from now on assuming that Federal doesn't screw up the load with changes.  Etc.

Not "everyone". They don't hold a candle to TSS in patterns or energy.

SumToy

Go big with chokes.  670 to 675 in M2000  The 835 will like 690 to 700 rang.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

chris30br

Bought 50 Mega weight 12 GA and 25 Mega weight 20 GA last year and I'll never buy em again. Junk if ya ask me. Don't pattern like the said and tried every choke they told me to buy and with brand new not wore out guns. Nitro did not make it right for me and have now moved on to tss. And will tell anyone and everyone how nitro company sent me junk shells and blamed it on my equipment!  Will not do bussines with them any more. IMO there is better shells on the market at less cost.