OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

some gun thoughts ????

Started by firstflight111, February 05, 2014, 01:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstflight111

Here's my question my sons is almost 12 he shoots a rem 870 20 ga now and he shoots it great , he is almost ready to move up to a 12 ga .he asked if i could get him a new gun he wants a semi auto 11 87 here's the thing do i go with a 20 or a 12. he can shoot a 12 ga but likes the 20 ga  but he is growing fast ..

what to do ??????????
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

WildSpur

I would stay with a 20.  Focus on good shooting form and keeping good form.  As he gets older and physically more mature offer the big bores.  The 12 gauge is not necessary.   I would be concerned about introducing target panic fear with a 12.  Jmho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

CASH

If he's ready for the 12, get it for him. If he ends up developing a filch or not ready for it, put it in the safe and go back to the 20 until he's ready.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

poeboy18

AgTurkey hunts with a 20ga alot. with the right choke and shell they are killing machines. reach out to him
Knocking Heads Off

spaightlabs

A lot of us shot 870's when we were young and I know a lot of guys that still do many many years later.

No 12 year old has ever died from wanting.  Tell him as soon as he saves up enough for the next gun he wants you will take him to buy it.  He is at a great age to start learning that just wanting things doesn't make them appear, and it is never too early to learn the value of a dollar, hard work and saving.

owlhoot

You might let him shoot some 12's of yours or some friends first before you make that choice, to see how he does at that age.

captin_hook

Just my 2 cents, let him shoot the 1187 12 ga. with a round in the chamber and a round in the tube so the gun cycles . It is a very noticeable reduction in recoil when the gun is allowed to cycle instead of just firing and letting the bolt slam back and stay back. Also, I'm a believer in a 20 gauges  recoil is the same or greater than a 12 ga. 20 ga guns are usually lighter. A lot of the recoil has to do with the weight of the shot also.  If I were you, I'd go with the 1187 12ga and just shoot a lower oz. Payload. Let us know what u go with . Good luck.

firstflight111

Quote from: spaightlabs on February 05, 2014, 05:07:39 AM
A lot of us shot 870's when we were young and I know a lot of guys that still do many many years later.

No 12 year old has ever died from wanting.  Tell him as soon as he saves up enough for the next gun he wants you will take him to buy it.  He is at a great age to start learning that just wanting things doesn't make them appear, and it is never too early to learn the value of a dollar, hard work and saving.
here's the thing it is his own money, he bought his 870 20 ga and 5 chokes and his own shells and all of his waterfowl gear and shells for that ,he is saving every penny he gets so he can have a new gun .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

firstflight111

Quote from: captin_hook on February 05, 2014, 07:43:47 AM
Just my 2 cents, let him shoot the 1187 12 ga. with a round in the chamber and a round in the tube so the gun cycles . It is a very noticeable reduction in recoil when the gun is allowed to cycle instead of just firing and letting the bolt slam back and stay back. Also, I'm a believer in a 20 gauges  recoil is the same or greater than a 12 ga. 20 ga guns are usually lighter. A lot of the recoil has to do with the weight of the shot also.  If I were you, I'd go with the 1187 12ga and just shoot a lower oz. Payload. Let us know what u go with . Good luck.

he shoots my 11 87 12 ga, i have only let him shoot 2 3/4 loads so far he can handle it .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Kilchis

I have known 12-year olds who were 6-foot 2, weighed 170 pounds and could whip a bear with a stick; and 12-year olds who were 4-foot 3 and weighed 65 pounds wet.  I would take his size into consideration, along with just how big you think he will eventually be, and how soon.

I agree with the posters who suggest turning him loose with a 12, maybe starting with light 2 3/4's and working up to the big stuff if he can tolerate it and wants to try.

That being said, since it's his money and he knows what he wants......

And kudos to you for being involved with your boy!

Eric Gregg

I am 34 years old and I hunt with a 20Ga that will get the job done just as well as any 12. Remington 870 with Remington SF choke shooting Fed Heavyweight #7's. The 20 ga is a potent turkey killer with the new chokes and shells out there. Go to the 20ga part of the forum and take a look at the results.

firstflight111

after may reviews, i changed my mind the 11 87 is out of the question. you have to change the rings for different loads .now to search for a new gun ???

It will be an all around gun for turkey, waterfowl .I don't deer hunt anymore .so what everyone's input ???
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

CASH

If you're still looking for a semi auto, the Winchester SX3 I believe has a self adjusting gas system.

Then you have the Inertia guns. The high dollar Benellis and the. The mid to low price Stoegers. The Stoegers have the M2000 and 3000, both 3 inch guns, the M3500 is a 3 1/2 inch gun, and they have a new model in 20 gauge the M3020
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Old Gobbler

If you want a 1187 that is 3 inch you don't need to adjust a thing , a 3.5 1187's are a different gun from what I hear , my uncle has one and I have the 3.5 versa max -- I've shot both ......get the versamax .....way more reliable , the versamax will not jam , and shoots soft , and is slightly lighter on the barrel end - if you lived closer to me I would let you try it out -  William of sumtoy chokes made me a choke for it ,and several other companies make chokes for it too - like mentioned , you can always just use low brass shells in it , and load up the magazine the extra weight soaks up recoil -- When  I was growing up as a kid I got to about a 100 pounds and I started using a beretta montefeltro type action auto  and loved it - every kid is different --  by the way I'm slight in stature to this day , and weigh in at 144 pounds - I've been shooting a Remington sp10 for 20 years now that gun weighs in at 12 pounds with the stuff on it

I have a very good little Winchester 20 ga pump tricked out to be a lethal turkey gun , it has a pure gold .570 choke and run some magblends in it - there is not a turkey in ths world that it could not kill at 35-40 paces -  like many of the 20 gauges that the serious turkey hunters on this forum owns it's deadly , but it's light and kicks real hard , and your aim has to be spot on too they shoot tight ... I would not hesitate to just shoot that little 20 gauge as my sole turkey gun - what a dream to carry in the woods

I would take your son to the store and let him hold up a few guns to shoulder , see what he can handle good luck , hope you he kills a nice one his spring

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

DirtNap647

personally I would bump him into the 12... can always use a shorter shell in the 12 then advance up