turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pros/Cons of Red Dot Sights

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 04, 2014, 10:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

I'm certain this has been covered many times but I'm looking for opinions. The past several years I've hunted with truglo adjustable sights on my Benelli Supernova, and had no problems. However, all the hype over red dot sights has me curious. What are their primary benefits over iron sights? I've considered the Burris Fastfire III on a speedbead mount, so I could co witness the dot with the existing truglo sights. That way, my standard sights could be a backup plan in the case of a red dot failure. Does anyone have any experience with the speedbead mount? How reliable is it? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

RutnNStrutn

I haven't used the speedbead, but red dots generally have a fast acquisition of your target, especially if you get a parralax free red dot sight. The one thing I would warn you is that if you have any kind of color deficiency, the red dot becomes hard to see in bright sunlight. I had to give up on red dot sights because of that.

northms

I love my red dot scope. Just got my mossberg 500A drilled and tapped and I can now take it on and off at will. 

After sighting in, I love being able to put the red dot on the neck and pull the trigger. There's no guessing or pulling off at the last second.

Cheap and effective.

Frank G

Red dot all the way here. Have 3 Aimpoint 9000SC. Two eye acquisition (never loose sight of target), no parallax, if the dot is on it ...... send it. I have tried a Holographic Reflex Sight, to much reflection for me. Try a good quality tubular type red dot and you won't go back to open sights.

:newmascot:

Frank G  In Tennessee

Skeeterbait

Best thing about an open lens red dot sight is the absolute point of aim point of impact.  Doesn't matter if your head is high or low, canted, shooting extreme angle to your left or right, or even holding the gun off your shoulder for some reason, if you can see the dot and the dot is on the turkey you will hit the turkey.  Doesn't matter if the dot is centered in the glass lens or up in a corner of the lens, if the dot is on the turkey the gun is aimed at the turkey.

With barrel sights you have to line up the front sight with the back sight with the front sight on the turkey.  With the red dot just put the dot on the turkey.  If you place the sight as close to your eye and shoot with both eyes open and concentrate on your target, an interesting optical illusion takes place.  The thin frame around the lens blurs out and the dot seems to be floating in the air out there with the target.  This makes fast target acquisition possible, faster than lining up multiple sight points.  This is somewhat impeded if you use a guard around the sight.  Unless you absolutely have to I recommend using the sight without a guard to minimize the frame area around the lens.

It is really interesting that once you get the hang of shooting this way, you can actually cover up the front side of the glass where you can't see thru it and still shoot accurately.  Your left eye sees the target, the right eye sees the dot and your brain puts the two together and you see the dot on the target and can shoot accurately.  Just for fun try it some time.  Put a piece of painters tape in front of the glass and shoot with both eyes open focused on the target.  It really is accurate.  Should mud get on the front of your lens, you could still shoot a turkey!

You get a better view down range with an open red dot sight.  When you are hunkered down lining up barrel sights, the barrel is blocking the birds body, the sight body itself is blocking some of the left and right view, and your probably squinting an eye which limits your peripheral vision.  What if another better bird is coming in from the side or a hen moves into your aiming direction?  With an open lens red dot shooting with both eyes open, you see everything down range and to the sides with a red dot imposed in the view.  I actually prefer to mount the sight up on a picatinny rail than down low on the barrel to enhance the ability to see down range better.

The only real disadvantage of one is the possibility of battery or electronic failure.  Putting a fresh name brand battery in before every season minimizes this problem.  They are very efficient and a battery should easily last a season.

strut-n-rut

I have heard that turkeys can see the amber color of the front lens is this true? I have a sunshade on mine but it is hard to see in early light.

Hognutz

X2 what Skeeter and Frank said. It is sound advice!! I am also an Aimpoint fan. The batteries last years not days. When the dot is on the birds neck, it is over. Period...Both my rigs have Aimpoints and I have one on a target .22. Pricey, but worth the money. IMHO. There are other good red dots out there, so you can shop around. Do your home work and don't settle for a $39.95  jobber that you bought off of eBay. Price does matter. Don't let the scope be the weak link in the equation.

As far as the reflection spooking birds.. It's never happened to me and I don't think it's as big a problem as some would lead you to believe. Generally if they are that close, they are flopping..Do not let that scare you from buying one.

The biggest advantage of a red dot is that you can adjust your POA to your POI. This is crucial. Most rigs do not shoot where aimed. I guess that some do, but none of mine ever did. And POI, generally changes when you change shell types.
Good luck with your decision..

Mike

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Gamblinman

If Mr. Tom can see my red sight...it's too late. Sayonara.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

alloutdoors

Everything Skeeter said. I've hunted with a bead, a red dot scope, and now a reflex sight. Reflex sights are the way to go in my opinion.

West Augusta

I've had a $35 BSA on my 870 Super Mag for 10 years and love it. I change the battery every year and haven't had an issue yet.  I don't miss since I put it on either.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

StruttinGobbler3

Wow, lots of great advice. Thanks guys, its much appreciated. I already own one aimpoint red dot, but am leaning toward the Burris for a turkey hunting optic. Mainly because I would prefer the quicker target acquisition of the open lense sight rather than the tunnel vision effect of a tubular sight. All of you have given me a lot to think about. Thanks again.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Hognutz

Quote from: West Augusta on February 04, 2014, 01:40:41 PM
I've had a $35 BSA on my 870 Super Mag for 10 years and love it. I change the battery every year and haven't had an issue yet.  I don't miss since I put it on either.

There is an exception to every rule. All I'm saying is you generally get what you pay for. There is a reason why they sell for $35. And three or four middle men made money off of that $35.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hotrod3h

I have 2 Bushnell trophys 1X28. I absolutely love it! Wherever that little red dot is pointed that's where the pattern goes. It's not perfect though. I'll say this here. Sometimes a bird in a field distance is tough to judge. 40 yards or 45 yards ? Why hasn't someone came out with a red dot with a built-in rangefinder ? They build everything else for a turkey hunter. Dead silence, squelin hen why not something really helpful.

Jbird22

I went with a SpeedBead with FFII a few years ago for the same reason. I wanted to still be able to see my beads just in case the sight malfunctioned. I really like this optic and have total confidence in it!

spaightlabs

I will be the contrarian.  I put a steady grip and an FF 3 with a speed bead on my M2 last year and will probably sell the steady grip and the FF 3 - found them to be detrimental.

The steady grip would not allow me to use a canting shim with the speed bead so my poi was off.  I adjusted that to poa with the FF3 at 40 yards.  Apparently in my case the difference at 40 yards was substantial enough that at 10 - 15 yards I needed to compensate for that difference. 

Had a single  bird that was eyeballing my hen at 10 yards. Put the dot on his noggin and air balled him.  For the follow up shots my eye went automatically to the bead and I air balled those too.

Second instance had a monster bird hanging at 40 looking at the hen and jake decoy.  Several of his traveling companions came right in and were at 15 yards.  I took the long bird and smoked him, went to pick up a second bird closer in and flagged him twice - once I think because he was too close and I didn't adjust and the second because my eye went to the bead automatically when he started moving  and that alignment was off due to the speed bead and no shim.

I would never have missed either of those shots with my regular stock and shim and with just the bead.