turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shock response

Started by MazeNBlu3, February 02, 2014, 01:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MazeNBlu3

So we know an owl hoot at first light will likely produce a shock gobble, same with a crow call. A friend of mine swears he's gotten a gobble from predator calls at various times of the day! Is this likely and has anyone seen first hand if it's true.

drum817

On the right day a turkey is likely to gobble at ANY loud noise.  I've seen guys slam truck doors and a turkey gobble at it.  If you are looking for a mid-day "shock" call then let me suggest loud cutting on a tube call....I've had that work a BUNCH for me.  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Charley B

A friend of mine wich is really ''red neck'' go out in the morning, while the birds are still roosted.  And screams ''T'é où?'' (that means in French ''where you are'').  And gets shock gobbling this way frequently.  I've heard such gobbling while slaming the door of my truck, having a nearby dog barking or even after a gun shot.  So i'm confident that a preadator call can and will sometimes yield a shock gobbling answer, no doubt in my mind.

paboxcall

I can remember watching the Drury brothers video when they were using a coyote howler to get birds to shock gobbler. 

Many years ago, my wife had a Dodge Daytona with an aluminum louver on the hatch.  When I would borrow that to go hunting, birds off in the distance would often gobble in the dark when I would close the hatch and that louver would rattle like crazy.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

gobbler336

an old man in turkey camp once told me of a time he took a new guy from church, they pulled up to a turn around and waited in the dark, right at first light the aged veteran hooted just so, then hooted again and even had a real owl answer him but to no avail, the novice turned and said let me try, he stood back and said in a loud voice hooty hoo hooty hoo, and two birds gobbled on either side of them.  true story.

one evening in alabama i was up this long gravel road trying to roost one, i had crow called, then owl hooted, fly up cackle the whole nine yards, even did a goose call.  as i turned to walk out a truck pulled of the side of the road very near my truck, i think just out of spite they blew a coyote howler and a bird gobbled maybe 100yds away from me.  hurt my feelings but taught me a lesson.  sorry for the rambling.

Drthorn

sure it will...anything that is a quick sudden noise may cause a shock gobble...I've personally used owl, crow, cuts, and truck door.

paboxcall

I was hunting a blue sky, beautiful morning once on a ridge overlooking a small rural community.  Hadn't heard a bird gobble since dawn.  About mid morning the air-driven fire whistle began to blow, and that ridge came alive with gobbling birds.  Ran a minute or so and each time it ramped up the birds would gobble and gobble.  After the whistle got quiet, so did the turkeys.  Didn't hear another peep rest of the morning.

:gobble:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

rutandstrut

One Florida WMA that I frequent a.Peacock Call will elicits a Gobbler at all hours! We had a Peacock come.strutting in with a Gobbler to our decoy set! Needleaa to say the Gobbler started flopping and the Peacock got the shock of his life!

ky turkey hunter

A few years ago I was in New Mexico hunting and the guide used a cow elk call to get them to gobble and It has been working for me on public ground here in Kentucky