turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to "unstick" stuck reeds?

Started by gatrapper, March 11, 2011, 10:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

How do you go about unsticking reeds on your mouth calls that have stuck together?
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

drum817

I run them under warm water or soak them for a couple of mins. in non-alcoholic mouth wash....pop em' in my mouth and run them hard till they un-stick.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Skeeterbait

yep, soaking them in Scope mouthwash works for me.

TRKYHTR

Put them in your mouth until they are moist and then do some agressive purring on them. That should loosen them. If they are still stuck I pull them apart. Then again I can just make another one if I tear the reeds.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stilker

Wet the reeds with spit or water. Then pinch the longest reed (top reed), and gently pull it a way from the other reeds. while holding it separated, get some spit or run some water under that top reed. The top reed is the most important reed on the call, especially if it has cuts. After your done calling, break a flat toothpick into thirds and stick a piece under that top reed. The next time you pull the call out, all you gotta do is run spit in it and pull the toothpick out. But its always a good idea to put diaphragms in the fridge with a water/mouthwash solution to keep em fresh and crisp.  :icon_thumright:

Bonjour

Here is what I usually do. I soak it in water for a while and then take a tooth pick to pull the reeds apart. I then try to run the call followed by more soaking and picking at it with a toothpick. I then end up tearing the reed because I am getting mad so I go out and buy a new call. Works great for me and the end result is always better than what I started with.  ;D

bowhunter84

Quote from: drum817 on March 11, 2011, 10:28:23 PM
I run them under warm water or soak them for a couple of mins. in non-alcoholic mouth wash....pop em' in my mouth and run them hard till they un-stick.
:agreed:

redarrow

When you store your calls separated the reeds with toothpicks then soak in fridge in a container of mouthwash.Leaving the picks in. Alcohol free is best.

FttFttVroom!

Buy new ones!  :D  Small paperclips also help keep the reeds separated and you don't run the risk of damaging the latex with a toothpick.

Muskie03

VERY CAREFULLY pull them apart after soaking them in water.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

shootumindaface

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 11, 2011, 10:43:57 PM
Put them in your mouth until they are moist and then do some agressive purring on them. That should loosen them. If they are still stuck I pull them apart. Then again I can just make another one if I tear the reeds.

TRKYHTR
Yup, aggressive purring usually works.. I also hold the call in my hand with the reeds facing me and blow into them

bowhunter2k9

get some primos reed separators, they are a lot better than toothpicks, and use them along with saliva to get them apart
Romans 8:38-39

treestand

IMHO any type of mouthwash is bad for the latex.  The best way is do what trkyhry said.  If you can find the plastic toothpicks that are different colors and cut them to put in your calls!

magicman

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 11, 2011, 10:43:57 PM

TRKYHTR

I do the same thing. 
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i