turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need help with 870

Started by stick bow, March 11, 2011, 08:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stick bow

I have a 870 express 12ga shooting 3" copper plated lead and winchester extended loads with a .665 jellyhead no pattern at 40, .665 IC no pattern. I've cleaned the barrel and cleaned the barrel. What else is there to do. Help. Is there guns out there that just won't pattern? These two chokes seem to work for every other 870.

VAHUNTER

are you seeing your entire pattern? you should be shooting at a piece of cardboard or pattern paper atleast 30"x30"
Good things come to those who wait

VAHUNTER

what size loads are you using?
with the chokes and loads that are available there is no such thing as a gun that will not pattern. there has got to be a reason

stick bow

Shooting #6's. No, I haven't really shot at pattern board. I've been shooting head and neck targets at 40 yards on a piece of cardboard that does catch some of the shoot. Just not tight enough for me to feel comfortable taking a 40 yrd shot and I want to be able to make a 40 yd shot.

I have a M2 20ga that I'll take a 45yd shot without thinking about it. Daughter will be using this gun.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: stick bow on March 11, 2011, 09:15:22 PM
Shooting #6's. No, I haven't really shot at pattern board. I've been shooting head and neck targets at 40 yards on a piece of cardboard that does catch some of the shoot. Just not tight enough for me to feel comfortable taking a 40 yrd shot and I want to be able to make a 40 yd shot.

I have a M2 20ga that I'll take a 45yd shot without thinking about it. Daughter will be using this gun.
you need to find out where your POI is compared to your POA.
Try putting up a big target. this will tell you what you need to know

SumToy

It should be shooting with that set up.   I know I would have set you up with a 660.   Now put your target into say 50 to 55 feet.  Get you some cheap shells and note book paper.  See what the POI is off.  You can put sights on it or bend the barrel to fix.  After that go to the 40 yard mark and the big boy shells. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

hunter177

Double check to make sure your choke is tight. I learned that the hard way. I had my 870 all patterned  a couple years ago and when I checked it before the season the pattern was horrible. Turns out the tube was slightly loose. It patterned well again after I tightened it. I have a differrent 870 now and use Federal Mag-Shok FC 3", 2 oz., #6s with a Jelly Head .665.

7 pellets in the vitals
81 pellets in the head & neck
196 pellets on a 12"X12" target
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

stick bow

Thanks for all the advice. Will put to use Monday.