turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which red dot for youth 20 gauge?

Started by Katmandew, January 27, 2014, 01:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katmandew

Bought the kids a mossberg super bantam this year.   They have never shot a shotgun (or open sight for that matter).  I think the 12 year old would be fine, but the 8 year old May have trouble lining them up in the heat of the moment.  I had decided on the burris FF3, but I'm rethinking this due to the $240 price tag.  I want to go with an open reflex style red dot, but have no experience with them.  Are there any others that any of you use in the $50-75 price range that perform well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beagler

For what it's worth I purchased a 20ga Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug for my seven year old daughter last season. I ended up putting the FF III on it. She shoots it pretty darn good.

Never Misses

FL-Boss

+ 1... I just couldn't spend that kind of money on a sight. I don't get why people pay that much for those. I ended up with this TruGlo below... costs about $80.. and actually has more choices with MOA and color...  than the Fast Fire.  I love it. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/929725/truglo-tru-brite-reflex-red-dot-sight-red-and-green-4-pattern-reticle-25-moa-dot-5-moa-dot-25-moa-circle-dot-5-moa-circle-dot-with-integral-weaver-style-base-matte

Katmandew

Having the same thought myself.  Looking hard at the mueller quickshot.  $100 for the camo version.  Thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

old frank

I put a Mueller on a 20ga youth gun for me. This will be my third season using it and it has been just perfect.

I change the battery before every season and carry an extra battery but have never needed it.
The Truglo would probably be fine also but the open glass of the Mueller makes finding the target very easy.

chatterbox

Quote from: FL-Boss on January 27, 2014, 09:11:52 PM
+ 1... I just couldn't spend that kind of money on a sight. I don't get why people pay that much for those. I ended up with this TruGlo below... costs about $80.. and actually has more choices with MOA and color...  than the Fast Fire.  I love it. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/929725/truglo-tru-brite-reflex-red-dot-sight-red-and-green-4-pattern-reticle-25-moa-dot-5-moa-dot-25-moa-circle-dot-5-moa-circle-dot-with-integral-weaver-style-base-matte
On a 20 they might work fine, and some guys have had decent luck with them on the 12's.
However, I bought a couple, and my 535 just ate them up.

I went with a FFII on my son's 20, and a FFIII on my turkey rig, and have had excellent results.

Katmandew

From everything I've read on the mueller, people have used them 2 years and counting with no issue.  I'd like to hear from some on here that have it before I buy, but saving $140 vs the Burris is huge to me if it's just as functional.  Plus you get the APG Camo version in the mueller for $100.  The Burris is $240 and they didn't even include Camo.  At that price Camo should be thrown in at no extra cost if you ask me and a 1 year warranty on a $240 sight is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Check out the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot.  I have had one on my 835 for the last 3 years and shoot 3 1/2" Hevi's with no problems.  The non camo models run around $60.

sugarray

My son killed his first turkey at 6 using a Rem 870 20 gauge with a FF II.  There is nothing simpler than putting that dot right on the waddles and pulling the trigger.  I have read here where multiple guys have had trouble with their TruGlo reflex sites, but there are those who also love them.  I had a Mueller on my 835 and it functioned flawlessly for 2 years on my gun.  This year I had a lot more difficulty getting it lined in and when I missed a turkey at 30 yd, found the site was 24 clicks low.  I didn't drop the gun, bump the site, nothing.  It was dead on before the season.  I sold it here.  I don't think it was the site, but can't prove it wasn't.  I will be upgrading to FF III for my son as well as putting one on my 835.  They are top notch with an Unconditional Forever warranty.  I have found them on walmart.com for $215.  Just my .02 cents.