OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mistakes

Started by jims, January 26, 2014, 10:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

worth612000

My biggest boo boo is setting against a tree and letting them sneak up behind me. Just try and raise that gun when you have one @ 15 yards staring at you.

hs strut

when i first started it was calling to loud now my biggest mistake is my patience level
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Chuck1443

Trying to get closer and getting busted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harvester

Just because he doesn't gobble every time you call, doesn't mean he isn't interested. Be patient on calling while he is still on the limb. Do just enough to say I'm over here and WAIT!!!!!!!!!

chatterbox

Calling to him while he is still on the limb.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: chatterbox on February 02, 2014, 06:35:07 AM

I agree that this is a mistake many make.  It is so hard not to call when they are gobbling good, but won't fly down.  You worry about hens or other hunters, but fight the urge.  I only give one subtle tree yelp or nothing at all, unless vocal hens are with him or in his vicinity then I may be a little more vocal.  Otherwise I bite my tongue and wait patiently and sometimes it takes lots of patience.  If I hear him fly down or determine he's down then I'll call.

I think the same can be said for calling while working one on the ground.  Having an awareness of when  to not call can be the determining factor for success.  I think it's an instinct that is only gained through experience. 

J Hook Max

I think rookie turkey hunters just don't realize how still you really need to be. Most likely their biggest mistake is in choosing a poor setup. Only experience will fix that. So,  stay at it and over time your mistakes will be fewer and fewer.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: chatterbox on February 02, 2014, 06:35:07 AM

I agree to a point. If he has hens I play it different. If he's alone I wait till I get a good position after he pitches down or if I'm where I already need to be maybe some tree Yelps and maybe a flydown cackle right before he pitches down. A lot of different things can work depending on the scenario

Gobble!

calling to early
calling to often
calling to loud
using decoys all the time

tomstopper

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 26, 2014, 09:26:37 PM
My top three rules of turkey hunting are,
1. set still
2. Set Still
3. SET STILL
All joking aside IMO the biggest mistakes novices make are the inability to set still and lack of patience. The birds have ALL day to do what they do. They don't wear watches!  ;)
This is what I first tell people who are getting into turkey hunting....

redleg06

Not knowing when to make a move and when to stay put.

A lot of times you'll set up and things dont go as planned. There's a time to be patient and a time when you have to do something else.... the trick is knowing when you're beat and it's time to re-asses the situation OR knowing that you need to hold tight.

trackerbucky

A mistake I used to make too many times is giving up and moving too soon.  A turkey has all day to get something done and it seems that he is often in no particular hurry to get where he's going.  Now, when I decide it's time to move, I look at my watch and wait an extra timed 20 minutes before standing up. It works just often enough that I continue to do it.

Seems like I continue to make most of my other mistakes like getting too close, calling too often, forgetting my face mask, etc. etc.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

Tinman22

My success on calling in turkeys went up when I started calling less frequently. Even though I love to hear them gobble, once I know that he knows where I am at I dont call but about every 10-15min...

MEbeardlover

This spring will mark only my third spring of turkey hunting. However, in a short time, I have learned a ton.

When I tackle something new, I read and read and read; all I can find. I have no regrets doing that, but it is important to remember that not everything works "by the book". Be ready to try something different or unusual for the circumstance. My first bird was taken by using a gobble call, on a whim. Several birds entered a field and began feeding and moving away. Several yelps and clucks and purrs fell on deaf ears. In desperation, I gobbled using my mouth call. All birds immediately stopped and turned and starting walking in my direction. I resisted the urge to call any further, and fifteen minutes later he was in range.

So, read and research, but do not be afraid to experiment. You never know.

chatterbox

Quote from: MEbeardlover on February 18, 2014, 07:12:51 PM
This spring will mark only my third spring of turkey hunting. However, in a short time, I have learned a ton.

When I tackle something new, I read and read and read; all I can find. I have no regrets doing that, but it is important to remember that not everything works "by the book". Be ready to try something different or unusual for the circumstance. My first bird was taken by using a gobble call, on a whim. Several birds entered a field and began feeding and moving away. Several yelps and clucks and purrs fell on deaf ears. In desperation, I gobbled using my mouth call. All birds immediately stopped and turned and starting walking in my direction. I resisted the urge to call any further, and fifteen minutes later he was in range.

So, read and research, but do not be afraid to experiment. You never know.
Toms have 2 emotions in the spring. Horny and jealous. If the first emotion doesn't work, hit them on the second.
When I hunt private land, I will try the horny aspect first. If this doesn't work, I hit them with gobble calls, and scratching in the leaves.