OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Far From Water?

Started by Seth B, January 23, 2014, 10:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth B

Trying to scout some public land spots. How concerned with proximity to water should I be? How far is to far?

J Hook Max

My experience is that sometimes turkeys are quite a distance from water even a mile or so. They just don't stay that way for too long. Since turkeys really like to roost near water , I would concentrate my scouting efforts there.

jblackburn

Quote from: J Hook Max on January 23, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
My experience is that sometimes turkeys are quite a distance from water even a mile or so. They just don't stay that way for too long. Since turkeys really like to roost near water , I would concentrate my scouting efforts there.

Yeah, turkeys seem to like to roost near water. Then they fly down and get the pecking order in line then drink and go off and feed, breed, and ignore calling until 10:00 am!  :funnyturkey:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

J Hook Max

You just have to get in their line of travel to where they feed and breed. Makes you look like a real good caller.

jblackburn

Quote from: J Hook Max on January 23, 2014, 02:08:47 PM
You just have to get in their line of travel to where they feed and breed. Makes you look like a real good caller.

No doubt!  Calling them to where they want to go (or already headed) makes you feel like a world champion!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

J Hook Max

About being where they want to go anyway. It's called scouting. I started turkey hunting 45 years ago and the most valuable thing that my father taught me was to put the same time and effort into scouting that you do hunting.
That would also be my number one piece of advice to anyone new to turkey hunting. That , and to also remember that there will be more tough days than easy ones. If not , you're probably doing something illegal.

guesswho

I don't give water much thought.  Turkey's get most of their liquid requirements from their food intake, vegatation, bugs etc. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff