turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strutter or jake deke: your preference

Started by northms, January 20, 2014, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

I am just curious as to how many people prefer a strutter deke over a jake deke and vise versa.  I hunt a very open cattle farm with hard woods mixed in and the strutter deke has done amazing things for us the last 4-5 years. 

Gobblers being able to see it from long distances has helped bring in quite a few for a fight. I've only had one bird that was scared to come in to the deke it seems, and I am not sure if he didn't see us walking in to our set up to begin with.

What's your preference? Thoughts?   :OGturkeyhead:

stinkpickle

The jake is more portable and seems to work just as well.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

No need for the strutter w a 1/4 strut DSD jake.

You'll kill more turkeys over the jake than you will the strutter.  Take that to the bank.

vaturkey

Vaturkey

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

alloutdoors

If we are talking high-end decoys, then the DSD jake hands down. If we are talking cheap decoys, where the jake has basically the same body as the hen with a different paint scheme, then I would give the edge to a strutter.

Gooserbat

I used a cherokee sports inflatable jake for years until it finally give out and I became a firm believer in a semi strut jake with that guy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mountman62

according to situation, location, time of season, have used both
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

30_06

jakesdad

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

northms

Seems like the jake decoy is overwhelming favorite. Any one else love using the strutters like me?

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

J Hook Max

No decoys has worked quite well for me for many years now.

spaightlabs