Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Sporting Equipment suggestions that you have THAT WE might ALSO like OR need

Started by kevin2, January 16, 2014, 01:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I'm looking to find some new equipment! Spring is a long ways off & it is a fun time to buy new equipment! I love to hear about some of your favorite equipment items that work for you while out in the field, be it for Turkey OR some other type of hunting or fishing. Old, new, "do it yourself" type stuff, anything that helps you out while out in the field. If you have photos, great, if not, then post up a link where we can check it out.

Here is one of mine...

The Niff-T-Seat by http://nifftseat.com/ is one of my all time favorite space savers when in comes to hunting, be it deer, turkey, or predator hunting. If you don't have one, then it is a must. Very light, compact, and the most comfortable seat I own for the outdoors. It can be made to 4 different heights in just a few short seconds. Very versatile.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

SCGobbler

Thermacell and occasionally an H.S.Strut knee rest

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

kevin2

The knee rest, that is sweet! Might have to get one!

In lieu of the bringing the Thermacell out with me, I got a complete 3D Mosquito netting outfit last year at Cabelas. Wore it camping, hunting, and hiking! It is great Camo & bug control all at the same time.

The Ultra Light Headnetting by Peter Vacco tops off the outfit. What is great about this head netting is that you can see threw it easily. Super light. Best I've had & on the cheap too! Get them at http://www.petersheadnets.com/petersheadnets.com.html

Fly Fishing this summer! WOrks man!

Quote from: SCGobbler on January 16, 2014, 02:47:11 AM
Thermacell and occasionally an H.S.Strut knee rest

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

MKMGOBL

About the only unusual things I carry are for after the hunt...The Photo Fan & Clip-Shot.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

spaightlabs

I keep a 3 foot piece of black Pee VC in with my double bull blind.  If you've ever tried to pee out the window of one of these, you will understand.

davisd9

Quote from: spaightlabs on January 16, 2014, 11:46:26 AM
I keep a 3 foot piece of black Pee VC in with my double bull blind.  If you've ever tried to pee out the window of one of these, you will understand.

Just becareful that it does not become like a chinese thumb trap.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gooserbat

I use one of the straws that are used as a stem on an orange sherbert push-up as a suction yelper.  Makes a great little close range call, and taste pretty good every time you need a new one.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ctwny1

redarrow

That net looks like it would be a godsend hunting bears in Canada. Blackflies can ruin your day.

BowBendr

Quote from: davisd9 on January 16, 2014, 11:51:02 AM
Quote from: spaightlabs on January 16, 2014, 11:46:26 AM

Just becareful that it does not become like a chinese thumb trap.

:TooFunny:  :TooFunny:  :TooFunny:  :TooFunny:

kevin2

To be clear, I don't own one of these! Thought it was something that turkey hunters might bite on at the isles of Cabelas though! What do you think??

davisd9

Quote from: kevin2 on January 17, 2014, 07:26:43 AM
To be clear, I don't own one of these! Thought it was something that turkey hunters might bite on at the isles of Cabelas though! What do you think??

All you need is a gun strap on your vest.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jakesdad

Alot of times i'll just set the bottom corner of my stock in/on top of my shirt pocket(on button up type shirts)works suprisingly well if you need a free hand.That one from MAD looks like it would keep you high on your stock.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

kevin2

I have come up with all sorts of ways to keep it mounted. In the end, I end up moving more than I want & it is painful on the arms to try and keep it there for long periods. Something like MADs gizmo OR even their's might be worth trying...but I'll say this, it looks kinda stiff and uncomfortable on the shoulder now doesn't it!

Quote from: jakesdad on January 17, 2014, 01:58:02 PM
Alot of times i'll just set the bottom corner of my stock in/on top of my shirt pocket(on button up type shirts)works suprisingly well if you need a free hand.That one from MAD looks like it would keep you high on your stock.

jblackburn

I second the HS Strut knee rest! And thermacell.  Not too unusual, but I always have a folding saw and or hand pruners when I hunt.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.