OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ported Barrels or non

Started by Robert, January 10, 2014, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert

Thanks for the feedback about the 835 vs the 500.
I've been hearing some negative reviews about ported barrels.
I have the option of getting a 12g with a 24"ported or a 20g with a 22" non-ported barrel.
What would y'all recommend?
Does the ported barrel really make a negative difference or is this non-issue?
Definitely concerned about hearing and the shot.
Since I'm on a tight budget, I'm trying to make an informed choice.
I appreciate it.

knightrider

with shotgun barrels ported or not is a non issue ! now when your talking chokes its another story

reynolds243

I ported my 26" sbe2 and it made a big difference in recoil. The only draw back so far is shooting out of a duck blind but as long as you don't fire over someone the noise isn't an issue

beagler

I really don't think barrel porting makes much of a difference at all when it comes to shotgun barrels.
Never Misses

bigbird

Where does a guy get a gun ported? Is it worth it if you shoot a choke that's ported?

reynolds243

Rob Roberts at gobbler guns did mine. It made a noticeable difference in recoil and muzzle jump.

I do t however believe it makes much difference In a choke

budtripp

Lots of places will port shotgun barrels. Back when I shot alot of trap there where always guys at the bigger shoots doing barrel work. I've had one done by pro port and think my old man had one done by angle port. There's alot of them out there

allaboutshooting

My O/U trap, skeet, and sporting clays guns have the lower barrel ported. Since we normally shoot the lower barrel first, it does keep the muzzle from rising...slightly. It's also louder, dirtier and will shave off some of the wad creating plastic build up.

I also have several single barrelled guns that have ported barrels. I don't see the advantage in them that I see in the O/U guns. It doesn't hurt anything but I don't see that it helps either.

I do have one exception to what I've seen in other barrels. I have a Benelli SBE barrel that I shot from the factory and then I had it ported. After I had the barrel ported, the pattern was more open,using the same choke/load but a bit more even than before. It's one of my better shooting Benelli barrels but it is louder.

Lastly, my Benelli Vinci with a non-ported barrel has less muzzle jump than any shotgun I've shot. I think it has more to do with the overall design, maybe the balance point, than with the ports.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BandedSpur

Negligible difference in recoil or muzzle rise. Definite increase in noise. Had a Beretta O/U ported. Wouldn't do it again.

RAY

+1 for porting.  I am a fan of it.

Skeeterbait

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference in perceived recoil.  I shot a 24" 835 ported and a 23" 870 non ported guns back to back and could not see a whole lot of difference in them as far a recoil.  It does make the gun louder especially anyone beside you so if you duck hunt from a blind in close proximity to others they will probably prefer you not have a ported barrel.  I shoot 835's with ports.  I had just assume they not have them but not to the extent that I feel the need to switch guns.

63beards

If it made that much of a difference, wouldn't the manufacturer's port them all?? I bet if you closed your eye's, you'd never know the difference between ported or not....
71 beards