turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What choke for 870 sm 28" barrel?

Started by BCBrez, January 07, 2014, 10:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCBrez

Okay I have a Rem. 870 SM with a 28" barrel.  It has been great at putting long beards down but most of the birds I've shot have been within 20 yards.  The couple that I have shot further out (50 yards) have required follow up shots and a little chasing.  My question is what kind/size choke is ok with such a long barrel, or do I put my 18.5" barrel on with a choke.  Shorter barrel only takes 3" shells though.

SCDieselDawg

What choke are you running now? I've spent a little time with the .660 Primos JellyHead and the .662 Hevi-shot Choke. Both shot nearly identical to each other so I would suggest the JellyHead.

BCBrez

I have not bought any chokes yet.  I'm just using Rem. full choke, one of the three chokes the gun came with.

I wasn't sure if .660 would be to tight with a 28" barrel or if I should try .665.

SCDieselDawg

The .665 may be better in the longer barrel. I didn't run the .660 in any longer than 24". But I did run the .662 in both a 21" and a 26/28" and it seemed to prefer the short barrel so I may have had the long barrel over choked.

SumToy

A lot of it has to do with what shell you going to shoot.  665 with Winchester long beard and 31/2 HV13 6&7.  Now Mag blends I like to see little smaller choke. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA