OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A prize in the decoys

Started by Rapscallion Vermilion, January 04, 2014, 09:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapscallion Vermilion

Canvasbacks are not very common down here, but a very welcome addition to the bag.  This is only the second one I've taken.

The fillets.

The reward.  Perhaps the best eating duck I've ever had.  Recipe from "Duck, Duck, Goose", by Hank Shaw.

She always gets a share of any birds we take, but does get impatient.

El Pavo Grande

BOFF

Great pics and hunt!!

God Bless,
David B.

spaightlabs

Love the Citori as a duck hunting weapon!

Really nice job on the pluck and filet,looks fantastic.  You understand the secret of great fowl, not one degree past medium rare!  Nicely done.

M Sharpe

Quote from: spaightlabs on January 05, 2014, 01:40:48 AM
You understand the secret of great fowl, not one degree past medium rare!  Nicely done.

I guess I would have ruined him!! I'd of cooked all that red out of him...... :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Hognutz

Great pictures.. Thanks for sharing them..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

HogBiologist

Your duck is still raw. Not medium, raw. I would have fed it to the dog.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Shellwaster

Delicious! I've never tried to eat canvas back but would say teal is the best tasting duck I've enjoyed.

spaightlabs

Quote from: HogBiologist on January 05, 2014, 03:47:42 PM
Your duck is still raw. Not medium, raw. I would have fed it to the dog.

I bet you've never had anyone ask you to make them ducks second time.  You cook it past that, I.e., medium rare, and it is tough and tastes like liver.

ccleroy

Quote from: spaightlabs on January 05, 2014, 01:40:48 AM
You understand the secret of great fowl, not one degree past medium rare!  Nicely done.

Yep!!

Deputy 14

I'm assuming that you don't have any health risks with waterfowl like you do with chicken or turkey?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Thanks for the comments guys.

spaightlabs, yes, to my taste they go downhill fast after this point.  Tricky to get just right.  Easier for me to do in the pan than in the oven.   My lab is out of Bearpoint kennels in Colorado.  Do you know them?

HogBiologist, the core temp on the breast was 130 degrees when it came off the pan.  Then it coasted into the medium rare range.  Raw would be a dark purple.

Shellwaster, of the ducks we routinely get, I would put teal at the very top, followed by pintail.  At that level it comes down to the individual bird and its diet.

M,Yingling, she has mastered that hungry look and has finagled more than one second dinner.

Deputy 14, much lower risk of anything bad than domestic meat, red or white, and more like a good lean steak than a chicken.

spaightlabs

The health risks with chicken and turkey are limited to animals that are processed poorly and potentially contaminated the E. coli and fecal coliform.  Other than killing those off there is no reason to over cook food.