North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun Sights

Started by Cutt, December 30, 2013, 01:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of gun sights do you like for turkey hunting?

Factory Beads
Open Adjustable Sights
Regular Scope
Red/Green Dot Scopes
Reflex Sights (Burris etc.)
Other

Cutt

Just curious as to see what most use turkey hunting? I still use an adjustable open sight, but feel I'm behind the times with all the options nowadays? Although never did care for Scopes for turkey, but have considered others.

I like the idea of the reflex type sights, but still have the concern with the glare? Also liked the idea of the Red Dots, but have heard some say the Turkey can see this at times? I realize these type sights are more accurate, but always shyed away with these concerns and stuck with my open sights.

what's your opinion? I have to believe some have lost turkeys just due to glare/or the dot, from these types? We all lose turkeys at times with our own human error, but just hate to add another possibilty even if it's a very slim one to the turkeys advantage, with glare, or Red/Green Dot visual.

Hognutz

I use a red dot (Aimpoint) on my turkey rigs. Most guns (at least the ones that I own) do not shoot to point of aim. So you need to fix that. I tried the sights at first, but they broke, fell off and or moved often.
A red dot device, is foolproof. No magnification necessary. Put the dot on his head and he is dead. Period. no if, ands, or buts.
I have never had a bird spook from the glare. (at least that I am aware of). Generally, if they are close enough to see the glare, they will be flopping.
The battery last for years in an Aimpoint, not days or even hours like some.
I have used a red dot for probably 20 years, and the older I get, the more I like it. Open sights are not all they're cracked up to be when your eyes start to lose their sharpness. I can attest to that!!

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Gooserbat

I've used True Glow Mag Gobble Dot for several years now and I have nothing but good to say about them. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

reynolds243

I've used straight bead, adjustable rifle sites and a red dot (ff3 and mueller quick shot) and the red dot is my overall fav personally

guesswho

I use an Eotech most of the time.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tapiot

Just my opinion but my EOTECH is just fine on my AR-15 but I'm not so sure I would need one for the range of my shotgun...
Tim T.

alloutdoors

Hunted for years with just a bead, then a few years ago I put on a red dot scope and found it really useful. Then I set up a new gun last summer and put a FastFire 3 on it. After hunting with it this fall it is definitely the style I like best.

VA_Birdhunter

I tried a Tru Glo red dot about 3 yrs ago...had several birds spot me that year which was very unusual.  I always camo up well and stay well hidden...so all I could figure is they were sing a glare on the glass...so I ditched it and went back to the bead.  So far no more problems.  I guess it just didn't work out for me.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Gamblinman

Late 70's through mid eighties - bead
mid eighties to present - rifle sights

future EoTech

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

danny

I use a Red dot scope.  I used sights for years but as I get older is harder to see both the back sight, front sight and the turkey at the same time.....Danny

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ericjames

I went from beads to rifle sights probably 15 years ago.. Then I got a Simmons pro diamond didn't care for the scope went back to rifle sights until a few years back then I got a truglo gobble stopper used it for about 2 or 3 weeks then went back to rifle sights. I just didn't like the gobble stopper. A few months ago I got a mini red dot and I think I have found what I been wanting,I really like it.

TnTurk

Bushnell Pro Diamond scope.

tapiot

Quote from: danny on December 30, 2013, 08:38:07 PM
I use a Red dot scope.  I used sights for years but as I get older is harder to see both the back sight, front sight and the turkey at the same time.....Danny

I know the feeling...was given my dad's 32 Win Special...couldn't focus through the peep hole to the post...
Sucks getting old...had trifocals before my time, they were worthless....

Had to move to progressive...still need magnifier a lot...

Tim T.
:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Tim T.

ctwny1

I use and like HiVis Turkey Double Dot Rear Sights with HiVis Comp Sights up front.