OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey hunter

Started by Ghostware, December 27, 2013, 09:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostware

I'm a deer hunter who saw some turkey on the new lease and wants to try spring turkey hunting for the first time.  Can someone explain to me the phases and timing of the turkey "rut" If there is one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Gobbling activities peak.  Tom's become solitary and basically act like whitetails during the rut. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Comparing turkey hunting to deer hunting is like the old cliche of comparing apples to oranges.  Spring turkey hunting, in it's truest form, is fundamentally about using turkey sounds to try to lure a gobbler close enough to shoot.  Since the spring season in most all states is set up to coincide with the breeding season ("rut",.. if you will), you will be hunting the "rut" most all season long.  True, there are periods during any state's spring season when gobblers will be more susceptible to being called-in than they are at other times, but your approach is pretty much always going to be about finding a gobbler than is willing to come to a call.  That is the true essence of spring gobbler hunting.

(Many newer turkey hunters have been indoctrinated into believing that they need to use decoys, similar to waterfowl hunting, to successfully hunt spring gobblers.  That is all well and good,...for those that wish to pursue the sport that way,...but the reliance on decoys is a relatively new phenomenon, and many of us "old-timers" that started hunting spring gobblers before the advent of decoy-use prefer the "old method" of using only our skills with a turkey call to try to fool a gobbler).

I suppose the point I am trying to make is for new hunters to understand that spring gobbler hunting is not like most other hunting, especially not deer hunting.  There are many sources, and many experienced hunters here, that can lead you in the right direction.  My personal advice is to learn to use a turkey call proficiently, learn how to locate gobblers and how to "set up" to call them, what calls to make and when, ....and get after 'em!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Ghostware on December 27, 2013, 09:39:08 AM
I'm a deer hunter who saw some turkey on the new lease and wants to try spring turkey hunting for the first time.  Can someone explain to me the phases and timing of the turkey "rut" If there is one?

Welcome to the sport. You've had good advice already. You should however know that turkey hunting is an addiction for which there is of yet no know cure.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gamblinman

Welcome to the affliction.   :fud:

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Ghostware

So is turkey hunting also where you have sunrise and sunset hunts? Or is there another preferred time of day?

Gamblinman

Turkeys can be harvested at any time of the day.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 27, 2013, 10:56:58 AM

Welcome to the sport. You've had good advice already. You should however know that turkey hunting is an addiction for which there is of yet no know cure.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark buddy you are for sure speaking the TRUTH!  I'm consumed with it and have from the first time my dad took me with him at 8 yrs old.   To me its one of Gods true blessings!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

headbanger

As a hunter of many types of game I'll try to explain from MY perspective...
The sight of a strutting tom makes my blood course faster thru my veins...
The echo of a gobble either makes my legs work like a racehorse or weak in the knees...depending on how close I think the bird is...
The low hum of the drum and spit causes my senses to come to peak awareness...
The sight and sound of a flopping bird brings my adrenaline to a boiling point...

After years and years of chasing animals of differing sizes and descriptions....NOTHING compares to the absolute thrill of hunting the springtime, "rut" crazed wild turkey!

If the good Lord told me he was taking me home...I might just have to ask for one more spring!

davisd9

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 27, 2013, 10:28:22 AM
Comparing turkey hunting to deer hunting is like the old cliche of comparing apples to oranges.  Spring turkey hunting, in it's truest form, is fundamentally about using turkey sounds to try to lure a gobbler close enough to shoot.  Since the spring season in most all states is set up to coincide with the breeding season ("rut",.. if you will), you will be hunting the "rut" most all season long.  True, there are periods during any state's spring season when gobblers will be more susceptible to being called-in than they are at other times, but your approach is pretty much always going to be about finding a gobbler than is willing to come to a call.  That is the true essence of spring gobbler hunting.

(Many newer turkey hunters have been indoctrinated into believing that they need to use decoys, similar to waterfowl hunting, to successfully hunt spring gobblers.  That is all well and good,...for those that wish to pursue the sport that way,...but the reliance on decoys is a relatively new phenomenon, and many of us "old-timers" that started hunting spring gobblers before the advent of decoy-use prefer the "old method" of using only our skills with a turkey call to try to fool a gobbler).

I suppose the point I am trying to make is for new hunters to understand that spring gobbler hunting is not like most other hunting, especially not deer hunting.  There are many sources, and many experienced hunters here, that can lead you in the right direction.  My personal advice is to learn to use a turkey call proficiently, learn how to locate gobblers and how to "set up" to call them, what calls to make and when, ....and get after 'em!

Excellent post!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: Ghostware on December 27, 2013, 11:05:10 AM
So is turkey hunting also where you have sunrise and sunset hunts? Or is there another preferred time of day?

I start before the light and finish after fly up, unless I kill my daily limit before.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

socalturkeyman

It causes me to travel 8 hours in one direction every year just to hear one break the silence of the morning woods. I will hike ridges, wade rivers,crawl through mud, and walk out the sole of my boots for a chance to shoot one.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

allaboutshooting

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 27, 2013, 12:44:13 PM

Thanks,
Clark

Clark buddy you are for sure speaking the TRUTH!  I'm consumed with it and have from the first time my dad took me with him at 8 yrs old.   To me its one of Gods true blessings!

God Bless

Even after all these years I start thinking about the next season as soon as the one I've been hunting is over. I agree with you about the blessing.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chatterbox

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 27, 2013, 06:40:15 PM
Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 27, 2013, 12:44:13 PM

Thanks,
Clark

God Bless

Even after all these years I start thinking about the next season as soon as the one I've been hunting is over. I agree with you about the blessing.

Thanks,
Clark
No truer words have been spoken. The moment I shot my gobbler, I was elated and sad all at the same time because I knew it was over for me until next spring.

Devastator

Thanks,
Clark
your notta kiddn