turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short barrel vs long barrel

Started by tapiot, December 20, 2013, 09:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapiot

I see many of the "turkey" shotguns are of the 21" variety...is there a reason? I've never chased after turkeys before. I would think a longer barrel along with choke would result in a tighter pattern. Is my thinking askew?

I did figure out something quite quick (and all on my own at that)...3" turkey shells are rather expensive, one doesn't want to waste a shot.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Tim T.

mikejd

Oh boy you didn't go there.

Well I will give my opinion. You are 100% correct. a longer barrel will give you a better pattern.

However every ones opinion of a good "HUNTING" pattern is something different. Me personally I prefer the shortest barrel I can find for maneuverability in the woods. For me that is an 18" Winchester 1300 short. With that barrel I can consistently put better then 200 hits in a 10" circle. For me that is a very acceptable hunting pattern. When I play at the range this all changes.

va wingbone

Barrel length has more to do with energy(not enough to make a real difference)than it does pattern, with the right choke/shell combination, awesome patterns can be achieved with short barrels.
Short Barrels are more maneuverable in dense cover or in a blind. If you've ever had to be stealthy in the woods with a 28-30"barreled shotgun slung over your shoulder you'd see my meaning, hanging on every limb, briar and vine you come by. Very, very frustrating.
On the flip side longer barrels offer a better sight radius and longer barreled shotguns are usually better balanced (usually, not always)
Just my observations

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

mikejd

You will see I bet most guys prefer a happy medium of about a 24" barrel.

SumToy

In the past I have always liked a 26 inch for a all around gun.  Wing shooting 30 to 32 inch.  Now with the test last week with the 20 inch Rem 870 and Long Beard shell I see no need for anything else.  :fud:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mikejd

Quote from: SumToy on December 20, 2013, 09:54:57 PM
In the past I have always liked a 26 inch for a all around gun.  Wing shooting 30 to 32 inch.  Now with the test last week with the 20 inch Rem 870 and Long Beard shell I see no need for anything else.  :fud:

Agreed.

Old Gobbler

Its been along time since someone did a chronograph comparison of shells in longer verses shorter barrels --- some folks say you loose about  -10 feet per second ,per inch .....on barrels shorter than 28 inches

I say , if it shoots  and kills good who cares

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

paboxcall

Like mentioned, its all about maneuverability. 

My dedicated spring turkey Winchester 1300 has a 21" barrel, and my favorite spring turkey gun, a NEF single shot, has a 24" barrel - when I carry that single shot it feels like I'm sighting down a flag pole. 

I'd cut that single shot barrel if it wasn't factory dipped in the original Bottomland camo. 

But its all about sitting down and easily handling and swinging a short barrel gun.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

R AJ

The long barrel magnums(30-32 inches) of the 60s using a full choke were the tightest things out there as screw in chokes were not normal. Ploy-choke and others were put on some imp-cyl and mod guns to get the full choke- cylinder range. The 32" Browning A-5 would barely fit inside a volkswagen bug. ;D

Now days the short barrel/screw in choke is a favorite of the run and gun set and for a point and shoot system it is very suitable. A barrel of 21" and under doesn't do too well for pass shooting, skeet, etc.

I have them from 18.5"-28" and still prefer a 26" as an all around utility barrel.

SumToy

This comes up ALOT in the target world.  Now I think the pattern will be better out the longer barrel and will be more stable.  Now in the old days you see big difference in the patterns because of the slow burn powder.  Now the new shells out today runs fast burn powder and that is why you only see little difference in patterns. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

troutfisher13111

I have been wondering how much velocity I lost when I went from a 28" to a 23" barrel. Is their a chart somewhere that has this info?

tapiot

Quote from: mikejd on December 20, 2013, 09:48:08 PM
You will see I bet most guys prefer a happy medium of about a 24" barrel.

I wanted something that would shoot all three sizes of shells. Was set on an 870. Dealer could not find the "turkey" version with shorter barrel and camo...(small gun shop and he did serious looking). I ended up with 887 Nitro. Takes all three shells and black armor coated "no rust" claim. 26" barrel. Using hi-z shells, 3" (first ones I could find instock online). In May I'll have to see if it was good/bad decision.
Tim T.

reynolds243

I personally like the 24" as a turkey gun but currently have a 26 on the SBE2 for all around shooting. Anything under 26" in a duck blind can get you run out of it lol...it is LOUD to say the least. I don't have much trouble getting a 24 or 26 barrel through the woods personally. Got to remember if you get an extended turkey choke you are adding 2-3" as to whatever you got.

Gobble!

With today's chokes and high density shells you can get away with shooting the shorts barrels. Longer barrels will pattern better on average but are a bigger pain to navigate through the woods. It comes down to, do you want 15 more pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with a 28" barrel or do want 15 less pellets with a easier to carry 23" barrel.

allaboutshooting

This is one of those questions that will get many responses from those who use short and long barrelled guns. In reality, it all depends upon what you like, are comfortable with and that works for you.

In my experience, a 26" barrel is just about perfect. You get a complete burn with the powder, it's stable and allows the shot charge to settle.

Can you kill a turkey with a shorter barrel? Certainly you can but generally speaking, the patterns will not be as even and dense as most that you may see on OG on other forums.

As has been said many times, it's all about knowing your gun and your ability to shoot that gun that counts.

I'd recommend that you spend some time at the range with whatever it is that you'd like to shoot and see just how it works for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."