OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Head Spinning

Started by Styer, December 11, 2013, 08:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Styer

There are so many calls out there it will make a new guys head spin!!!!!!! :toothy12:

For someone who is completely new to the sport, what kind of calls should I be looking at getting to start off with and what are some inexpensive but still good examples to pick up. Not wanting to spend a whole lot of money here?

If its any difference I will be hunting in the Tennessee midstate area on private land.

I have read through a lot about calls on here but there are just so many opinions and expensive custom calls I don't know where to start.

M Sharpe

Depends a lot on what your definition of inexpensive is. $30 for a good pot call is not expensive any more.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

davisd9

As Mr. Sharpe said the pot calls will usually be the least expensive of the custom calls and is one of the easier to learn.  Get a good slate and striker and learn to call on it.  A some good box calls are rather inexpensive compared to other calls.  It is better to spend a little more on a good call that one can learn on that an inexpensive one that does not preform well and then you have to upgrade.  PM me if you want a few pots that are good sounding for around $50 or less.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Redbeard

Hey Styler, for a beginner a simple box call is probably the easiest to use and it doesn't have to be a custom call either, one right off a bass pro shop wall will get the job done as long as you learn how to use it.

A easy to use slate call is also a good one to use although I had issues using one when I started 28 years ago. I found the slot type slate call was very easy to strike and replicate the turkey good enough to sling a few over my shoulder.

I've got alot of customers in the mid-TN area and have hunted there myself for the last 3 years and I'll tell you they are birds that love to answer but don't always come to the call so don't get frustrated with 'em. Get above 'em.

If you wanna try one of my MadHatter Calls, especially the 20 dollar pocket player, check 'em out at www.turkeycall.co 

Good luck huntin'.

Styer

I found a local guy making custom box calls. Any one tried his calls before. Clarence Dies 3 tracks calls. They are really well priced.