OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bushnell First Strike

Started by TBab, December 03, 2013, 11:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBab

Has anyone used this good looking little dot for their set up? The quality of the product looks good and it really reminds me of the Burris line of optics but does it hold up as well as they do to recoil or does the low cost cause some problems with the integrity? I have always used Bushnell products and have had good luck but just looking for some info on this sight before I go and spend the money on one.
Thanks
TBab
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

grayfox

I'd read all the reviews I could find on it first.  I read where one guy had it shatter the first shot on a shotgun.  Not many cheaper red dots hold up to a turkey load.  The Mueller Quick Shot & Truglo Tru-Brite gets good reviews on this forum.  I have the Truglo Tru-Brite & have been happy with it so far.  Midway has it for $79.99 & free shipping.  The main negative thing I hear about these are the height above the receiver when mounted.

TBab

Thanks grayfox. That is the main thing for me is the height of the sight. I used a truglo last year and it wouldn't hold a zero. After every shot I fired the sight had been knocked off. I actually used a Bushnell acog style sight on my shotgun last year and it performed fine. I may just save the money and go with a Burris FF3.
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

chatterbox

Quote from: TBab on December 04, 2013, 11:10:55 PM
Thanks grayfox. That is the main thing for me is the height of the sight. I used a truglo last year and it wouldn't hold a zero. After every shot I fired the sight had been knocked off. I actually used a Bushnell acog style sight on my shotgun last year and it performed fine. I may just save the money and go with a Burris FF3.
If it were me, I would save the money, and buy the Burris FFIII. This is, IMO, the best sight in it's price range.
It sits low on the receiver, really low with a 336 base, and comes in a 3 MOA, or 8 MOA dot. It has a proven track record of handling the harshest recoil that can be dished out by magnum turkey guns. It's also waterproof.
For me, there is no better turkey gun sight made.

Uvagobbler

I haven't tried the bushnell first strike sight. I used a bushnell trophy and had no problems. Got it several years ago for under $100 dollars. My first red dot sight was a camo Burris speed dot 135. Great product. However, I'm in the process of jumping on the fastfire wagon. There are a few reviews out there where it shows the bushnell first strike glass cracking on a Remington 870 tactical. My Burris speed dot 135 never failed me. I want something lower profile and after reading members experiences with the fastfire, it sold me. I would spend the extra money and get the fastfire. I guess the jury is still out on the first strike.

TBab

I believe I am just going to hold out and get the Burris. I'm new to this shotgun optic game and after all the reading I have done that seems to be the best way to go for the money. I really appreciate the input guys.

chatterbox

Quote from: TBab on December 09, 2013, 03:12:59 AM
I believe I am just going to hold out and get the Burris. I'm new to this shotgun optic game and after all the reading I have done that seems to be the best way to go for the money. I really appreciate the input guys.
You won't regret it. I bought one after trying every sight and scope I could find. I ended up where I should have started. Burris FFIII.

TBab

Chatterbox which MOA dot do you prefer the larger one or the smaller?

chatterbox

Quote from: TBab on December 11, 2013, 11:29:31 PM
Chatterbox which MOA dot do you prefer the larger one or the smaller?
My personal preference was the 8 MOA. I just like the bigger dot. I found the 3 MOA to be just to small for my liking.