OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

string maintenance

Started by VAHUNTER, March 10, 2011, 08:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

taking care of a bow string is just as important as taking care of a shotgun or rifle barrel. i have always kept my string waxed. but picked up a tip the other day and thought i would share with you all. it works great

old wax removal
take a piece of serving or heavy thread and wrap it around your string a couple times.
while holding both ends pull it down your string. this will peel off any old wax or dirt.

after applying fresh wax. use your serving again to take off any access wax.
i then rub my freshly waxed string with a piece of leather. the leather will heat up the wax so that it penetrates into the fibers of your string.

this will help add extra life to your setup. Shawn
Good things come to those who wait

Fox Fire

Never thought much about clean'n my string but maybe I should, always figured the old wax and dirt was jared loose by the vibrations, definately gonna try this just to see. lord knows it probabaly needs it.

Most of the time I rubbed mine in with my fingers but the leather idea is a good one, beats burnin your fingers and if your do'n it rite it gets hot enuff to burn...yea gotta get me some leather.  good call VAHUNTER.

VAHUNTER

i cut the palm out of a old leather glove. you will actually see burn marks on the leather.

cleaning the string is something new for me too.
i was really surprised of the junk that rolled off the string. black wax
Good things come to those who wait

Finch

I picked up some "Scorpion Venom" last year and love the stuff. It goes on easily and soaks into your string/cables without having to apply friction. Check it out sometime. You can also get it in "wax" form. The liquid is my favorite though. :D

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: Finch on March 23, 2011, 09:48:50 PM
I picked up some "Scorpion Venom" last year and love the stuff. It goes on easily and soaks into your string/cables without having to apply friction. Check it out sometime. You can also get it in "wax" form. The liquid is my favorite though. :D

Yup..I use the wax form..An it come with its own piece of leather in the can
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

bowhunter84

i use a hair dryer on the low setting to help melt down the wax as i rub it in the string

ryersonhill

I would also like to add if you have got 2 years on your string it may be a good idea to change it out and put new string and cables on your bow, i worked at a Archery Shop here in Maine and it is to late once they blow and believe me it doesn't feel good either when they wrap around your wrist, JBK Bowstrings make the best string i have seen with a 18 month guarantee and it will also bring back the new feel of your equipment
Owner-Paramadness Bow Slings
Bowslings-Survival Bracelets-Binocular Slings
Custom Braiding Available-Online Store Available
Pending Maine State Record Eastern Turkey - Archery