turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Something to get us ready

Started by Sherrell, September 21, 2013, 08:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherrell

Hold on gentleman....One more pass looking us over and they will work the blocks and they did.Nothing like bull pintails in the decoys.
Time to head out later this morning and give the bluewing teal a working over.

savduck

Dang. Sprigs already.

We had some hollywoods mixed in with bluewings last week
Georgia Boy

Sherrell

Those were from last year...Did see some smilin' mallards mixed in with the teal this weekend and saw a couple gaddys.
Mottled ducks every time we turned around....I will be glad for our regular season to start.I think my canvasback and redhead hole may be good.

savduck

I was thinking about traveling down there this year. Have yet to a Sprig or Drake Can.

We havent gotten a heavy push of teal yet. TONs of woodies already, smilies, and a few mottles. Seen some black bellies too.
Georgia Boy

Sherrell

I can always point you in the right direction..I try to make a few trips out of state every year...Very hard for me to hunt the same old place all the time...Just like Floridas storm treatment areas.If I had to hunt them on a regular basis,I'd quite.Good place to take a limit,but as much a challenge as shooting a elk in a pen....Hard to enjoy throwing a boat in the same old impoundment every weekend.

If you ever get the chance,the Luguna Madre of Texas is awesome...You will work Redheads and Pintails until you are sick of seeing them.

savduck

Heard texas was good for widgeon too. Be a few years before i can make that trip. Florida is just a couple hour ride. May head to gulf coast side. Spent time down around crystal river back in college. My sister and BNL are about to move to Pensicola. Be a good excuse to drag a hunting boat.
Georgia Boy

Sherrell

If you head over to the panhandle let me know and I will send you to one of my spots that I hunt redheads.
I may head up there myself with the layout boat in a few months.It was strange last year,but didn't see many widgeon.80% of the redhead population winters there though and the flocks are a sight to see.

savduck

Sat an afternoon loafing/ roosting pot hole in the salt marsh saturday. Shot 3 teal before legal shooting ours were up. Had dozen mottles, two mallards, a pair of shovelors, and 20 or so woodducks try to dip in there.
Georgia Boy

Old Gobbler

The pintail and widgeon are starting to make slow population increases in south florida ,and in  areas that they have been totally devoid of , at least in my living memory --  In the last 4-5 years it has been gradual and promising , I think if things keep going like they are we could see plenty more -- the thing with pintails is they are a reclusive spooky duck that can come in 1's and 2's or flocks of 50 plus that have a tendency to only decoy to big pintail rigs , anybody shoots in the area and bye bye they go -- widgeon are also big water ducks , big big spreads work better -

People up north like to poke fun at the sta's as a canned hunt , there is loads and loads of ducks all kinds -- unfortunately there are hoards if straight up clueless --- I've seen some crazy stuff like people on inflatable boats / mattresses -- sta 3/4 ... I would say at least 50% of the people hunting there do not even use decoys , they simply blast out 2 boxes of ammo ---sky busting from 80 ,90 and further yards -- people popping mottled ducks in teal season etc...  --

This last 2013 teal  season on the sta1 sat hunt , 96 hunters showed up to get only 8 available permits ! Most blame the popularity of duck dynasty , give it a year or two and it will settle down -- but with odds like this it drives away out of town hunters --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

savduck

Last season there were 26 boats at the ramp opening weekend. Most guys had beards and black face paint. Ive grown up hunting out of this ramp and the MOST Ive ever seen was 9 boats.
Georgia Boy