OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Isaac's first elk

Started by hobbes, September 10, 2013, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

We've been having a great couple of weeks here in MT.  An early deer season started in the district around town and Isaac and I secured permission to hunt a local riverbottom.

Two weeks ago Isaac made his first bow kill a whitetail at 18 yards:

Then my parents came in for a visit and we visited Yellowstone before Isaac, my dad, and I did some fishing here close to Helena.  We have never fished for walleye, but knew there was the possibility of catching some in this spot since a friend has caught some good ones here before, but we really expected to catch trout only.  This is Isaac's first and only walleye after five casts.  30" and 11 lbs.  I skinned him to mount and then we ate him the next night.  He fed all 7 of us and I'm now a new fan of eating walleye.  During the week we caught several big rainbows also.

I was told after those two that I should take Isaac to buy a lottery ticket, but thought I should hold off until after the first weekend of elk season to see if his luck held.  Well.........I need to buy a lottery ticket.
Isaac's first elk and second bow kill from the opening day of archery season at 11:30 AM, a hair over 20 yards.

I'm hoping to keep him close during my week of vacation next week chasing a bull.

redarrow

Thats awesome man.That boys a natural born outdoorsman for sure. Ain't them Walleyes tasty. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Hognutz

Congrats to Isaac and his proud father. I guess you could say that you had a pretty good year..Nicely done, young man..Nicely done..

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

headbanger

Isaac is on a ROLL! Well done young man :you_rock:

Woodsman4God

Man that is just awesome, I live in a great state for Walleye and have caught several 8-10 pounders but nothing bigger than his.amazing

nsselle

That's is awesome.....Congrats to you and your son.

Not sure how those big walleye are in Montana (obviously you enjoyed it).  Most of us Lake Michigan walleye fisherman wont eat one that big, not very tasty....the 16-24in are where its at for us.

Again, awesome story and good luck with that bull!

Gooserbat

Looks like now you need to teach him to field dress those critters so he can lend ol'Dad a hand :)
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey slayer

Congrats to him thats great!

owlhoot

great job young man. Nice bunch of critters . bow kills too = sweet. great pics!

11 lb wally, good gosh !
go get them lotto tickets now.

troutfisher13111

He is a lucky kid for having a dad who takes him to do these things. Harvesting all the game is just icing on the cake.

beagler

Never Misses

chatterbox

Way to go, Issac! Tht's flat out awsome! :icon_thumright:

danny

Good for him...looks like he is a killing machine....Danny

tomstopper

Congrats to you both. Looks like he is off to a fantastic start. I would be buying a lotto ticket also.......

RutnNStrutn

Fantastic!! Glad to see you are starting him off the right way! :icon_thumright: