News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wow

Started by savduck, August 26, 2013, 10:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Wow
Ive been hunting turkeys since the mid eighties. Im 37 this spring season and have been at it since 12 to 13 years of age with my Dad. I kill my first at 15, had a few slow years from 15 to about 19 and then have been hardcore at it ever since with the last 13 or so years coming into my own.

In all my years, I never did any reading of all the " famous" books. Most of my experience is from old timers and my self taught time in the woods. The only turkey ever called up for me by some one else was my first by my father. Now later in my turkey hunting life, Ive come to want to get some of the "famous" books out there. This past year Ive gotten books by Tom Kelly, Marty Fischer, Herb McClure, Kenny Morgan, and Joe Hutto. I got Herb McClures and Gene Nunneries books Friday and both are read.

Up to this point Id say that i found myself leaning towards  Kenny Morgans "One Mans Game" as my favorite, however after finishing " The old pro turkey hunter", Im just moved beyond belief. I just find it one of the most powerful story telling, lesson teaching, sharing the respect and love of the wild turkey books Ive ever read. I haven't read many, but if this select few are the best, why buy any other. Maybe it touches me because i can identify so much with the older school way of thought. I have done and learned many of these lessons and had the same thoughts after taking whipping in the woods, without mind you the influence of this literature up to this past year.

I personally feel, that every brand new, fairly new turkey hunter of less than 10 years needs to read these books before venturing to the woods. It ought to be mandatory to get your turkey tags. Man, what a true love you would have for this great bird seeing it from the old timers point of view instead of the TV and you tube generation.

Im actually exhausted from this reading adventure.
Georgia Boy

Jacobson

Del, A One Man Game may also be something you might want to get your hands on, I hear it is quite the book also by Kenny Morgan. Just read an article on Morgan written by Jim Casada. These books can cost a pretty penny on line. I have started  reading while turkey hunting, and found I can read a book about every two days. I honestly think it helps also as relaxing as it is. Glad to hear that someone has found great joy in readings from the Old Greats.

Old Gobbler

I got a copy and it is one of my very favorites -his daughter is good people too---

Sadly younger folks are getting a education from TV infomercials these days--
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

savduck

Quote from: Jacobson on August 30, 2013, 04:10:31 PM
Del, A One Man Game may also be something you might want to get your hands on, I hear it is quite the book also by Kenny Morgan. Just read an article on Morgan written by Jim Casada. These books can cost a pretty penny on line. I have started  reading while turkey hunting, and found I can read a book about every two days. I honestly think it helps also as relaxing as it is. Glad to hear that someone has found great joy in readings from the Old Greats.

Ive got it. It is great too. Very similar styles. It is my second favorite. To me both are better than tenth legion
Georgia Boy

Cove

I'll be looking for the ole pro..... Sounds like I need it.

savduck

You need to get it.
Georgia Boy

FLGobstopper

I love the Old Pro Turkey Hunter and it's a ritual I have to read it again before turkey season each spring. If I had to vote for the best turkey story ever written it would be the one about old galberry joe in that book. That story gets me so fired up!