OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Fall turkey hunting tactic pointers you can share...

Started by kevin2, August 12, 2013, 09:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I'm heading out for my 2nd ever season for Turkey this fall & I know that it will be completely different then the spring turkey season.

Just looking for some tactics to put on the Turkeys, hens OR Gobblers.

I've heard of something called a flock breakup, where you run straight into a flock of birds screaming & dispatch the entire flock in all directions. Would like some additional information & experiences on that plan of attack.

And any other tactics that you can throw my way will be gladly & happily put into action to this fall...Thanks, as usual to everyone that helps me out...

Kevin
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

land cruiser

kevin2

How exactly do I use that call. I know how to produce it, but when & how does it work. I need details!

Quote from: land cruiser on August 12, 2013, 10:50:25 PM
Use kee kee run. Get in range and get it done
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

crappieangler

on a mouth call say pee pee pee pee yelp yelp....or tee tee tee.  You get the picture.  I've never really tried much with a slate or other pot/peg calls or boxes. After scouting a group of birds I went and sat up close to their roost and knew where they were coming from. I just said let out one series of random clucks and about 30-45 minutes later the group walked right to me to 5 yards mimicking my same clucking. Just a way of communicating, I'm here where are you with them if you don't get the kee kee mastered before the fall season, but it's pretty easy to get basics on a diaphragm.

I can get better gobbler yelps on a box call, but have only had 1 chance to actually use it.

Good luck sir.

owlhoot

scout scout scout, learn the flocks patterns if ya can. Early bow hunts put me on the turks in the woods.
lost calls and kee kee if ya can.
old mama hens will keep young ones away from ya, mimic them. Maybe have too chase one of them off so they don't call all others away from ya.
But never understood the flock breakup, why not kill one if you got close enough to do that. Although i have done it , fun to call them back ,lots of talk from them.
old toms hard to call in fall,pattern them.
good luck, have fun, be safe.

trkehunr93

Quote from: owlhoot on August 21, 2013, 06:05:41 AM
scout scout scout, learn the flocks patterns if ya can. Early bow hunts put me on the turks in the woods.
lost calls and kee kee if ya can.
old mama hens will keep young ones away from ya, mimic them. Maybe have too chase one of them off so they don't call all others away from ya.
But never understood the flock breakup, why not kill one if you got close enough to do that. Although i have done it , fun to call them back ,lots of talk from them.
old toms hard to call in fall,pattern them.
good luck, have fun, be safe.

Agree with the above, I have hunted fall turkeys along time and have busted up flocks by running at them shooting over them, snuck in on flocks on the roost and waited for them to fly down and sat in the woods all day sometimes in places I know they want to be and killed them using all of these tactics.  I now am a turkey dogger and have a lab that shows some promise at being a good turkey dog, I prefer to walk the woods in the fall anyway so this has changed the whole game for me.  Scouting is your key to success in the fall, if you know what they like to eat then that helps immensely!  A good double reed mouth call using a thin latex will produce some really good kee kees and kee kee runs (jakes), a double glass pot call and a hickory striker produce some excellent gobbler yelps and clucks, just slow down your rhythm a bit while yelping and use the middle of the call for yelps and really pop the striker tip in the middle of the call for gobbler clucks.  Remember gobblers do not do a lot calling so I try not to overcall if I know I'm hunting a gobbler flock.  Another tip is turkeys love a fight, fighting purrs and wing beats sometimes will bring'em in running.

srmturk

Last year I tried something different than the breakup.  I stalked a flock...got close without spooking and set up and called.  Just some yelps and clucks.  I tried to mimic them.  They were making a racket.  Called a jake within gun range and popped him.  Don't need to scatter necessarily.  Regarding how to do a kee kee...think of the sound you do with a box call when you do a springtime yelp.  The beginning is a kee and the end is sort of the yelp.  In other words...as you're bringing the top of the call across the box...at the beginning is that kee sound.  If you just shorten your action with the top of the call...don't finish with that yelp sound at the end...you've got the kee kee sound with the box call.  Hope that helps a bit.

Hook hanger

Sound like a lost or left behind polt and hen will come running. Toms called in by doing a tom yelp and clucks.

MEbeardlover

I agree with owlhoot; scout your hunting area and try to "pattern" the birds in the area. Turkeys can be quite predictable, and will hit certain food sources with some predictability. Once you get an idea of where and when they are moving, create a set up to intercept them.

If the terrain allows, you can do some limited "spot and stalk". If you can see turkeys feeding from a distance, and you have terrain to hide you, you can stalk them. I have found that turkeys can be pretty deliberate when they are feeding, and if they are on a good food source, they will be there for a while if not spooked. It gives you time to move into position.

The kee kee run is the sound of a jake who is lost, confused, or seeking company. It can be a good call for "cold calling" in the fall.

Best advice I ever got for fall turkey hunting: "In the spring, you hunt gobblers; in the fall, you hunt turkeys." The fall gobbler could be one of the most difficult kills in hunting. If you get something in range that the law allows, don't wait.

Kylongspur88

Calling is a lot of fun in the fall. I walk a lot locating a flock and either bust it up and call them back in or I try to get in front of them and call them in.

outdoors

DOWN HEAR IN THE SOUTH YA JUST READ , READ AND READ SOME MORE AOUT U ALL , AND THEN WE GO AND DEAR HUNT AND THEN WHEN SPRING GETS HEAR WE IS READY AND I DO MEEEEEE N. READY ....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

koribustard

Does a crow call work in the fall?  I've heard it's best in the spring during mating.   If not, what is a good locator call in the fall?  I should add that local hunting regulations restrict hunting to 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, so not sure an owl call would work in those hours.  Am I wrong?

va wingbone

Quote from: outdoors on September 19, 2013, 07:48:41 AM
DOWN HEAR IN THE SOUTH YA JUST READ , READ AND READ SOME MORE AOUT U ALL , AND THEN WE GO AND DEAR HUNT AND THEN WHEN SPRING GETS HEAR WE IS READY AND I DO MEEEEEE N. READY ....
HUH?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

BCBrez

Spot and stalk is my favorite fall method, but if you can pattern them then you can set up between food/water and roost site.  I find they like to take the same route back to the roost most times.  So set up on their trail in the evening and catch them on their way back.  I tend to use a blind and my bow this way.

I have also used dogs to tree them and had success.

If you are able to shoot any bird in the fall then you can have some fun with dogs and a couple buddies.  Find a flock.  Set up spaced apart a little.  Send one guy with the dogs around other side of the flock and let the dogs flush the birds towards you.  Get ready to wing shoot some turkeys, they make a loud thump when they come down.

On a side note, don't take a dog that's afraid of a little fight...