Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

info request - Remington Superfull steel or lead Choke 0.670 - Discontinued?

Started by lung, July 19, 2013, 07:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lung

I picked up this extended rem choke cheap, looks good in the inside, very clean. Thought I may pattern it to see how it does. I did a bit of searching trying to find some info on the choke, with no luck.

Here are some pics. Is it even worth putting ammo through it for testing before turkey season?

All I found online are Lead only extended remington chokes. I also looked for waterfowl chokes. This may be discontinued. Excuse my ignorance, im not as savvy as many in the choke arena. Thanks in advance.

**edit - I picked this up with the anticipation of trying out some Hevi - shot this coming season.

BandedSpur

Nothing to lose by trying it. It should do fine with HTL shells, likely not so hot with lead. It will likely not keep up with a PG .670, IC .665, or similar much more expensive choke, but you don't have a lot in it -so why not? I run a Rem SF HS .675 in my 1187. It throws amazing patterns with TSS handloads.

nyhunter

I got 1 just like it and as long as your not into the numbers game it will do just fine. With H-13 6's mine threw nice even patters, more than adequate to kill turkeys at 40 yds. I would give the mag blends a try with that choke also, I bet they would do real good. 

lung

I will see if I can find a couple boxes of the mag blend. I kind of had my heart set on trying those first anyway. At 5-6 bucks a pop. Im keeping my fingers crossed!!!

thanks for the replies.

allaboutshooting

I believe that you are correct that it has been discontinued. I'm not sure who made those chokes for Remington but I believe they were made when Remington was loading Hevi-Shot products. They were also very wary of chokes tighter than .670 or .675. Those were the early days of HTL and there was great fear of barrel and/or choke damage. With more knowledge and understanding gained over the last 13 years or so, not to mention different wads and buffering materials, many of those ideas have changed.

The only real way you'll know how it works in your gun is to shoot it of course and it may do well with Hevi-13 shells. The latest version of that shell is very forgiving. I would not recommend it for any of the more common lead loads however. It has a pretty short parallel section and is very open for lead shot.

Good luck and please let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

lung

I picked up this Lead only choke the other day for 3 bucks to compare it with the other one. It Cleaned up easy enough today. Going check it out to compare some lead loads to the Hevi shot tube and some of the mag blends.

They have a few differences. The lead only is a bit tighter going in the shotgun, but threads in easy. Also I noticed right off the notches cut into it for a tool. Pics below of it. Ill post up some pics soon as I get my hands on some ammo to try in both of them.

WildTigerTrout

I bought that choke for my Rem 870SM back when Remington was selling their own Hevi-Shot loads. I miked mine at .675 though. It worked very well with the old Rem. loads. I have no idea how it would work today for the wide array of new loads on the market. You are correct the choke has been discontinued.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!