turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Considering replacing decoys

Started by jaybird, July 16, 2013, 10:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybird

I'm thinking about replacing my decoys for next season. I have some old Buckwing Decoys and am thinking of either DSD or Avian X. What are the pros and cons of each?

Casey Johnson

Both are extremely lifelike. One con of Avian X is that they weigh a ton. However, as far as price, Avian X is a little cheaper. I prefer DSD myself.
NWTF - Tennessee

alloutdoors

Both are effective but I give the DSD's the edge on realism. DSD's are made in the USA, the Avian-X are made in China. DSD's for me all the way.

I would personally recommend getting the upright hen and the jake to start. In my opinion, the DSD jake is the single most effective turkey decoy ever made.

slamman

Quote from: alloutdoors on July 16, 2013, 02:16:47 PM
Both are effective but I give the DSD's the edge on realism. DSD's are made in the USA, the Avian-X are made in China. DSD's for me all the way.

I would personally recommend getting the upright hen and the jake to start. In my opinion, the DSD jake is the single most effective turkey decoy ever made.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:I absolutley agree I purchased the jake this last spring and had great success with it.  I just ordered the upright hen and expect to get it any day now.  you can't beat made in USA.

jaybird

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I was leaning towards the DSD's and just wanted some opinions before I pulled the trigger.

vaturkey

Pull the trigger Jaybird !!  DSD's for me !!!  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

beagler

I actually just sold two Avian-X decoys and replaced them with DSD's. The DSD's are lighter and easier to tote around IMO.
Never Misses

vaturkey

I call this pic Splender In The Grass !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey    :newmascot:
Vaturkey

kansas hooks

Ever since i started using DSD decoys i have seen a big difference on how birds react to the decoys in a positive way.  I agree on the upright hen and jake to start with.  They are a great combo, so this is another vote for DSD.

RutnNStrutn

beagler

I wonder if that is the newer "flocked" jake version on clearance? If so that is a good price!
Never Misses

busta biggun

nativeks

I did a side by side comparison in this thread. I run DSD and my brother had Avian X.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1717086&highlight=dsd

GSLAM95

Quote from: alloutdoors on July 16, 2013, 02:16:47 PM

I agree 100%!
Simply put....The DSD's are in a class by themselves!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Kylongspur88

DSD hen decoy all the way. I thought it would be a pain to pack around but not the case. I can't even tell you how real they look in the field. I looked at the avian x and the DSD is just a superior product.