OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite hunts

Started by crappieangler, July 13, 2013, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crappieangler

I'm sure many of you are like me and can remember many of the hunts gone bad or our missed opportunities. However, it's also nice to reflect on the positive experiences we've had with our family, friends, or on our own.  I'd like to hear some of your favorite moments spent in the field or memorable hunts you've been on, if anyone is willing to share.

tomstopper

My favorite hunt was when I took a friends son with me 4 years ago. We were spring gobbler hunting when a hen came in very vocally. She got so close to us that she stepped on his foot and it scared him so bad that he jumped in my lap & knocked my hat right off my head. I wish I could have read that hens mind as she flown away after seeing that and then watching me roll around on the ground laughing uncontrollably..... :funnyturkey:

Rokhal07

One of my favorites was when i was about 17-18 and hunted with my dad. We had a gobbler in a field w 2 hens gobbling at us but wouldnt come in. I cut a few times and then a gobble back behind us prob 4-500yds so i dropped back and acted as if the hen was going toward the other bird. The old boy in the field couldnt stand it and while i wasnt able to see the kaboom from dads shotgun confirmed that he had broken from his hens to come collect a third. Really nice bird thick 10"beard and 21lb plus thats the first bird that i had called in for the old man instead of other way around

RutnNStrutn

My favorite hunt was the last I did with my Dad.
Dad had recently gotten knee surgery, and was still hobbling a bit. So I scouted out some birds, and saw some headed to the roost. Next morning Dad and I got there super early due to his limitations. I parked on the two trail, walked him in carrying all the stuff, then set up his chair and helped him into it. Then I parked the truck and hoofed it back to our spot. Dad and I spent the next hour until dawn sitting side by side in our chairs, whispering to each other, enjoying the brisk air, and listening to owls, whippoorwills, crickets and gators.
As dawn broke gobbles started to ring out. We both smiled and waited for our bird to fire off. Finally he did, but he had crossed the two trail and was in the woods across the creek. I helped Dad up, quickly packed up our stuff, and helped him walk to the other area. When we got to the creek, I crossed and put all our stuff down. Then I came back and helped Dad down the hill and across the creek. We got within 150 yards of the gobbler and set up. I couldn't risk trying to get Dad in any closer. We'd have been spotted for sure.
So I set up our chairs, helped Dad into his, then set up the dekes. The gobbler was still hammering away, and the echos of his gobbles rang through the woods. Dad smiled. I called to the roosted tom and he cut me off with a thunderous gobble! Then I smiled. We might just have a chance after all! The gobbler pitched down and started our way. I gave him a few soft clucks and yelps. He hammered back his approval. Then it happened.
I heard wings as other turkeys flew down, and yelping as they went, they ran to him. His harem had joined him. They milled around in the area for a while, and he let out the occasional courtesy gobble. But he wasn't coming, and after a while they drifted off. Circling ahead wasn't an option as Dad couldn't move that fast. We repositioned a couple of times, but only saw a couple of hens.
Still, it was a good day. It was the last time I ever hunted with my Dad. I so wanted to get him that gobbler, but it wasn't to be. I'll forever cherish the memories of that day, the last morning with my Dad in the turkey woods. After that, his health failed, and a little more than 2 years later, he passed away. RIP Pop, I love you, and one day I'll join you in that big hunt up in the sky.

flintlock

Taking anyone for their first turkey has to be TOPS.  My boys, my buddies and a young man this spring.   GOOD STUFF!!!!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!