OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Masterbuilt Customer Service

Started by redarrow, July 08, 2013, 09:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

My wife bought me a Masterbuilt smoker for my birthday and I have been trying to find a good recipe for making jerky. Seems like everybody has the basic brine and what have you but I couldn't find any consistency in the heat and cooking times.Anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 12 hours.Amount of chips was another thing. 1 hand full to 3 or 4 pans full.The owners manual had lots of good recipes but nothing on jerky. So I took a chance and called customer service. No sooner had I gave the lady my e mail address and I had a good recipe waiting for me. They actually have a recipe department.This one sounds pretty good.

Beef Jerky
Serves 6 to 8
You'll Need:

•   2 (1 lb. sirloin tip roast) cut into 1/4 inch strips
•   1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
•   1/8 cup Kosher Salt
•   1/8 cup Dark Brown Sugar
•   1 tablespoon Frank's Hot Sauce, or your favorite brand
•   1 teaspoon onion powder
•   1/8 cup Molasses
•   3 teaspoons minced garlic
•   Jane's Krazy Salt
•   2 (7.5 oz.) cans of coca cola

1.   Have roast sliced into 1/4 inch strips when you purchase it. Mix the vinegar, kosher salt, dark brown sugar, hot sauce, onion powder, and molasses in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn heat down, and stir well. Remove from heat and cool down. Add 1 can of coke.

2.   Stack strips in a 10 x 10 pan and pour marinade over each layer. Cover, and place in refrigerator, and marinade for at least 4 hours, turning once, if not completely covered with marinade. Remove from marinade and pat dry.

3.   Preheat smoker to 180°F. Fill water pan with 1 can coca cola, 1/2 cup water, and 2 tablespoons fresh-minced garlic. Fill wood tray with apple wood chips. Sprinkle generously with Jane's Krazy Salt and place on middle and top racks in smoker. Do not let strips touch. Smoke for at least 4 hours, checking for doneness and dryness after 3 1/2 hours. If not ready, continue smoking for another 30 minutes. Jerky should be ready after 4 hours, if not before. Meat should be a dark color inside and out. Cool, and place in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate or put in freezer until ready to eat. Guys and girls love this jerky!

Suggested Wood Chips For Smoking:Apple

P.S. yes,Kamski if you play nice I will save you a piece. :goofball: :goofball:

kamski1151

:drool: :drool: :drool: I'll be good Daddy I promise...

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

tomstopper

Sounds Tasty. Did not know they had a recipe dept. Thanks for the heads up.

nativeks

Loved my Masterbuilt for making snack sticks as well. I don't know how many pounds of waterfowl snack sticks I processed in that baby.

redarrow

Quote from: nativeks on July 08, 2013, 01:08:55 PM
Loved my Masterbuilt for making snack sticks as well. I don't know how many pounds of waterfowl snack sticks I processed in that baby.

Do you still have yours?

nativeks

Sold it to my brother for little to nothing. He is still using it. I actually owned 2. My first one quit. Se

DirtNap647

redarrow

Quote from: nativeks on July 08, 2013, 01:26:21 PM
Sold it to my brother for little to nothing. He is still using it. I actually owned 2. My first one quit. Se

Did you have any trouble with the temp control. For some reason my jumped from 180 up to 250. Needless to say the jerky is very crisp.I could understand if the temp went down due to a slight breeze.

nativeks

I never did. It is really well insulated so not even the wind bothered it much. I used it during the winter. It was close to zero New Years Eve 2010 and I did a boston butt all day.

My heating element quit working in the first one after 2 years. 2nd one also had issues but my brother bought new connectors and rewired it himself. He found some issue they had with connectors corroding. For the price they aren't too shabby. Wife bought me a Traeger lil Tex elite so I pretty much gave my brother the masterbuilt.

slwayne

Love my Masterbuilt.  Have had it for 2 years with no major problems.  I live in Michigan too and the one issue I had was that it didn't seem to want to work in the dead of winter when temps got down below 25 or so.  I called Masterbuilt and they told me to hold a hot wet cloth to the temp sensor inside the unit for a few minutes before powering it up.  Problem solved.  First thing I made with it was a big batch of goose jerky using a High Mountain jerky mix.  Turned out great (my 3 year old granddaughter couldn't get enough of it!).  Since then have done countless smoked chickens, ribs, salmon, whitefish, turkey breasts and pork butts.  Best gift my wife ever bought me.

redarrow

Old Gobbler

My family got me one last month , they even got me the cook book --

I have the ss model with a glass see though door and love it -- I cooked up several batches of cedar plank smoked salmon , cooked up some hot dogs etc ... its a good unit
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

redarrow

:icon_thumright: Heck man,with a name like McLemore it has to be a good one.Don't look like Catdaddy though. :TooFunny:

nativeks

This is another good cookbook to have. It helped me up my game.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1439209111